Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Napster UK beefs-up downloads

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Napster UK beefs-up downloads
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Neuro
macrumors regular

I just find WMA sound quality severely lacking unless you bump the bitrate right up. Even then, I can't help but listen for 'that' characteristic slushy sound. Looks like we'll get iTMS Europe this week, so I'll probably try that first, as I like the sound quality of AAC.
Neuro is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Savage Henry
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro
I just find WMA sound quality severely lacking unless you bump the bitrate right up. Even then, I can't help but listen for 'that' characteristic slushy sound. Looks like we'll get iTMS Europe this week, so I'll probably try that first, as I like the sound quality of AAC.
According to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3784799.stm )The UK is set for the 15th. I can't think the rest of Europe is not included.

And this thread seems to cover the Europe angle quite well.http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=74489

Yoiks, I'm tinglin'.

From the I Ching

Last edited by Savage Henry; Jun 7, 2004 at 01:58 PM. Reason: my tiping is getting wurse !
Savage Henry is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Neuro
macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting an iPod mini and ditching my NetMD Minidisc player. I've always rated Atrac as a format (it definitely sounds great), but their copy protection and crap software ruins the whole experience.

Maybe Sony have sorted it with their 'Connect' service, but it's too little too late and isn't Mac friendly.

I'd be really disappointed if WMA becomes the standard via Napster etc, as AAC, Ogg, Real, Atrac, Mp3 are all superior formats in terms of sound quality to my ears.

The killer aspect for Apple is the fact that the hardware, format, software, quality and user experience are part of the same design. I love the fact that they've just announced the AirportExpress / AirTunes package. It makes the whole process of getting the system you want so much easier, and fun gadgets that are tightly integrated can only help the cause...
Neuro is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2004, 03:42 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
The killer aspect for Apple is the fact that the hardware, format, software, quality and user experience are part of the same design. I love the fact that they've just announced the AirportExpress / AirTunes package. It makes the whole process of getting the system you want so much easier, and fun gadgets that are tightly integrated can only help the cause...
Exactly. Napster doesn't have the infrastructure to compete with iTunes and the iPod. Wallmart is for cheap bastards who can be bough .12 at a time. Microsoft only cares about pushing their DRM on people.

Apple is the only hope to make music cool in the digital age. Everyone else is just polishing a turd and hoping someone will like it.
nuckinfutz is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion