Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Not Available

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Well... not quite :) I was just wondering why some applications disappear or stop launching after deleting or ejecting the *.DMG. For example, Mozilla Firefox and Second Life do NOT disappear, even if you reboot your Mac/eject the *.DMG on the desktop/delete the *.DMG in the folder it was downloaded.

But others, such as Transmission, disappear. It won't allow me to eject the *.DMG, if I delete the *.DMG the application won't launch anymore, and if I reboot, it does not show the application's icon in the dock anymore, unless I launch it, in which case, it takes a few seconds to find the *.DMG.

Any explanation will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You did not actually install the app, you are merely running it from the dmg. If you delete the dmg, you've deleted the app.

Not Available

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
And how do I install the app? Don't I double-click it? Because that's what I did, EXCEPT for the fact that I didn't "download" it ("Save as..." in Firefox), but simply ran it ("Open with... "). But that's what I did for many other apps. Why don't these ones want to work?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Not Available

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Oh, thanks a lot. I thought I've only got to copy the application into its folder if I'm prompted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.