Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I think anyone on here would agree that if you want true, responsive, customer service centered results for your iPhone issue ... Don't start with a Genius Appointment. While there is a decent chance that you will get favorable results through a direct Genius Appointment, I'm sure that any of us that have had multiple experiences with Apple Care would say that you should call Apple Care first and let them handle all of the logistics for you. Without even leaving your house they can set up a Genius Appointment for you (Even on a day when the Apple Store will tell you there are no available appointments) and even tell the Genius to replace or service your iPhone *no questions asked.

Bottom line, I believe that I have consistently gotten superior customer service when dealing with Apple Care directly and hope that everyone whom has had a poor customer service experience in an Apple Store, would give Apple another chance through Apple Care directly.

*As long as your iPhone is still covered under your warranty.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I have had nothing but good experiences with the Apple Geniuses. However, I can see their frustrations with all of these minute problems on the iPhone 3GS.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
My experience do not mirror yours.

So you have received better service in store than through Apple Care?

SIDE NOTE: Your C.S. Lewis quote is by far my second favorite C.S. Lewis quote ever, my first being “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I think anyone on here would agree that if you want true, responsive, customer service centered results for your iPhone issue ... Don't start with a Genius Appointment. While there is a decent chance that you will get favorable results through a direct Genius Appointment, I'm sure that any of us that have had multiple experiences with Apple Care would say that you should call Apple Care first and let them handle all of the logistics for you. Without even leaving your house they can set up a Genius Appointment for you (Even on a day when the Apple Store will tell you there are no available appointments) and even tell the Genius to replace or service your iPhone *no questions asked.

Bottom line, I believe that I have consistently gotten superior customer service when dealing with Apple Care directly and hope that everyone whom has had a poor customer service experience in an Apple Store, would give Apple another chance through Apple Care directly.

*As long as your iPhone is still covered under your warranty.
I guess experiences vary. I've had to go to the Genius Bar for a couple of Mac related issues but last week was my first iPhone related. My new iPhone 3GS had a screen problem (yellow in 2 parts on left side) and I made an appt. I walked in, checked in with/in 30sec of showing up and was called 2min later. After that it took the Genius 5sec and brought me over to where they sell the iPhones and they did a swap for me. Everyone along the way was courteous, and it went pretty smoothly. This was all at one of Apple's busiest stores, 5th Ave here in NYC.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Without even leaving your house they can set up a Genius Appointment for you (Even on a day when the Apple Store will tell you there are no available appointments) and even tell the Genius to replace or service your iPhone *no questions asked.
AppleCare can add a case note that says they recommend that your device be replaced, but the Genius Bar is under no obligation to follow that recommendation.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
AppleCare can add a case note that says they recommend that your device be replaced, but the Genius Bar is under no obligation to follow that recommendation.

Actually, AppleCare put this note in my case notes and then read it to me and told me to mention it if given any problems, "Check device for physical and water damage and if there is no major physical or water damage replace device, no questions asked". Once I was called to a Genius he pulled up my case, read the notes, took my phone, examined it, and replaced it. The only words he said were "How may I help you" and "Please sign here and here for your replacement phone".

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That's great that they did that. I'm just saying that if a Genius doesn't want to follow what AppleCare noted, they don't have to.

I've seen it happen plenty of times. I've also seen a lot of customers walk into the store stating that AppleCare made them an appt, only to find out that they have no appt listed on the store's Concierge reservation system. This especially seems to happen on busy phone days at the store, when AppleCare doesn't feel like holding to speak to someone at the store.

Having AppleCare phone support setup your retail store support visit may have a great track record with you, but it's not as guaranteed as your post makes it sound.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I understand what the OP is saying. I don't think it should be a steadfast rule though.

In my experience, if you have an obviously defective product, whose defect you did not cause, which is not fixable on the spot, and is not a tiny nitpicky complaint, a Genius is generally going to do you right and give you a new item if it's within the timeframe.

However if there is some grey area, where things might depend on the mood of a Genius or a store manager, a call to Apple Care might be a better bet.

I recently had my 24" Cinema Display die on me, literally 12 days outside of my 3 year Apple Care. I had never taken it in for service before that. I called my local Apple store and managed to get a manager on the line. He basically told me I was out of luck.

A call to Apple care yielded a very different outcome. I was told I would be covered, and that they would notate my file with instructions to repair the display, no ifs ands or buts. I took the display to a different store than the one I called, so as not to make any enemies at the first store. It was shipped out and back to me within a week, like new.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I only go through the Apple store if its an iPhone issue. In most cases they will just swap it out for you. They can be good with software issues as well. For anything else I call Apple directly. Everytime I've had hardware problems with a notebook, they end up just doing what I could of done over the phone. Why waste a trip in?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Our local Apple store is just 3 miles away, so I always go there first if I need any services done or just inquiries. Checking out the new stuff they have on the store makes it worthwhile too. Never had any problems with our Geniuses here as well, they're awesome so far!

iLoveiPhone3GS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Could you please quote where I have complained about the Genius Bar in this thread? I'm just curious where you're extrapolating that from.

While I cant point to where you directly complained about the genius bar in this thread, I find it hard to believe given your other threads on the GB.

Horrible experience with GB

Genius bar is sub-par

Oh and my favorite! What ever happened to returning your iPhone?

Im returning my iPhone!

Look, I appreciate your tip for calling apples phone service its helpful for people who dont know how to handle geniuses at the bar, but give it up already.

but go ahead, justify all you want, try to give me a verbal thrashing, im just tired of the bitching. return the damn thing and deal with another company if its too much to deal with.

Gershon

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
:confused:
So you have received better service in store than through Apple Care?

SIDE NOTE: Your C.S. Lewis quote is by far my second favorite C.S. Lewis quote ever, my first being “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”

I always thought Apple care was much better than at the store :confused:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've only ever been to the Genius bar twice (both times at the Bullring store in Birmingham, UK) - once for a cracked iPhone 3G case and once for a failed MacBook battery

On both occasions, the service couldn't have been better: I was seen on time and the problems were resolved with no issues whatsoever (replacement phone and replacement battery were provided). I think Apple's customer service is pretty much spot on!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
This is retail, and it all comes down to the attitude of the customer which will affect how far the employee will go to help the customer. Understanding, calm, and a bit banter really do go far in retail.

A lot of Genius horror stories we hear one side, don't know what the attitude was of the customer etc. People forget the Apple Store is just a retail store. And in retail, we all hate awkward and demanding customers.

I recently had my 24" Cinema Display die on me, literally 12 days outside of my 3 year Apple Care.

24" ACD has been out for 3 years? :eek:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
While I cant point to where you directly complained about the genius bar in this thread, I find it hard to believe given your other threads on the GB.

Horrible experience with GB

Genius bar is sub-par

Oh and my favorite! What ever happened to returning your iPhone?

Im returning my iPhone!

Look, I appreciate your tip for calling apples phone service its helpful for people who dont know how to handle geniuses at the bar, but give it up already.

but go ahead, justify all you want, try to give me a verbal thrashing, im just tired of the bitching. return the damn thing and deal with another company if its too much to deal with.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.