Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The 'hard' bit with hardware

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: The 'hard' bit with hardware
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

This piece is notable only for the fact that it seems as though the author has been partaking of too many illicit pharmaceuticals.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
This piece is notable only for the fact that it seems as though the author has been partaking of too many illicit pharmaceuticals.
He doesn't do drugs. He also teaches other Mac users.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
He doesn't do drugs. He also teaches other Mac users.
What could he possibly teach other Mac users? That piece reads like he inhaled too deeply while visiting a sheep ranch.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:53 PM   #5
macnz
macrumors newbie

Sheep ranch?

I love the image of a sheep 'ranch' - they're not cattle. They just, you know, wander around in fields. MisterMe, either you missed the point completely or you just felt like having a dig at NZ (well, OK, we do have about 40 million sheep and just 4 million people. But a third of that population lives in one big city, where I also live. Why, I can go days without seeing a single sheep! http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif).
Apple's machines are not only manufactured by firms that make machines for others, one of the primary manufacturers has announced it intends to take on Apple at its own game. This seems bizarre to me, as Asus has the advantage of an intimate knowledge of Apple's machines. It throws up the old price comparison scenario and points out what the real difference is between a Mac laptop and an Asus and the difference is clear: Apple. I thought this was worth discussing, but like most of my Mac Planet blogs I like to provoke a little as the comments people post are usually so interesting.
Regards, Mark (the author).
macnz is offline   0
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:38 AM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnz View Post
... Apple's machines are not only manufactured by firms that make machines for others, one of the primary manufacturers has announced it intends to take on Apple at its own game. This seems bizarre to me, as Asus has the advantage of an intimate knowledge of Apple's machines. ...
That's not how business works. Asus [or any other Apple contractor] works for Apple under contract. Asus's contract does not include a license to use Apple intellectual property in its own products. If it were to use Apple IP anyway, then it would lose all subsequent opportunities for Apple contracts. It would also have to defend lawsuits brought by Apple Legal.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:04 PM   #7
macnz
macrumors newbie

Apple, ASUS

True, MrMe, but an intimate knowledge of how Apple puts things together, or wants them put together, must surely give ASUS an advantage and would not infringe IP, necessarily.
macnz is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion