Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Plugged in my 30GB black iPod classic this morning. The battery is pretty much shot (I got in in June, 2006), so it said low battery, please wait. The circle was spinning so I just left it and got coffee, breakfast, whole 9.

I come back after about 10 minutes smelled something burning, I looked down and its still got the same screen with the spinning circle. I unplugged it and reset and it came on, but I noticed between the "MENU" and |<<, just off the click wheel on the plastic face, there is a circular object that seemed to be trying to make its way out. The plastic was melting around it.

Also, it has been unplugged and off for about an hour and its still warm.

Don't have AppleCare or anything, 3+ years out, should I even bother going to the Apple Store? I was considering a refurbished Classic model, but I see there on none in the Apple Store. I know there's probably new hardware coming in a month or two.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Attachments

• iPod_Classic.JPG
    iPod_Classic.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 164

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Couldn't hurt to go to an Apple Store if there is one nearby. Make an appointment at the "Genius" Bar before you go. Maybe they'll swap it for a refurb, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to try.

Melting is well beyond a normal iPod malfunction. Besides, who know what would have happened if you would have left it there plugged in for an hour or two. A fire? Maybe.....

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Take it in and give it a try, although I think you will be buying a new ipod. They might be able to explain what happened though.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
I attached the picture in my original post up top.

The Apple store told me I was SOL. So I went home and called Apple Support and to make a long story short, after a few pictures sent to him and asking what would have happened if I plugged it in and left the house and it caught fire, they are sending me a new iPod.

I'm 0-2 at the Apple Store, I think I'm just going to always call from now on.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Has anyone received a replacement iPod from Apple? How is it packaged? Is it in a normal box like it's a brand new product?

Thanks!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I attached the picture in my original post up top.

The Apple store told me I was SOL. So I went home and called Apple Support and to make a long story short, after a few pictures sent to him and asking what would have happened if I plugged it in and left the house and it caught fire, they are sending me a new iPod.

I'm 0-2 at the Apple Store, I think I'm just going to always call from now on.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

nice, good for you. Frankly, I think that's the right result for an ipod that actually melts, under warranty or not.

My experiences at the apple store really vary. It just depends on who you get - some people are really happy to help out even when they don't have to, and some... not so much.

Refurbs come in a brown cardboard box, not all the fancy packaging. But they have a full warranty and all the accessories. What are they sending you? 120 GB classic?

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
What are they sending you? 120 GB classic?

I'm assuming a 30GB, that's what I had. I'd welcome the upgrade though. Will keep you posted.

The big thing was me asking "So if it caught fire and burned my house down, Apple wouldn't be at fault?" The customer service comes out when a possible lawsuit is involved.

samkeem

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Calling apple support

Ok. So I called Apple support and recorded everything about my ipod getting hot...and well..just watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-bZEwJj9Ug

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
You are lucky they replaced it. You will most likely get the same replacement 30gb model, thats what they gave me when I had a HDD problem.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I'm assuming a 30GB, that's what I had. I'd welcome the upgrade though. Will keep you posted.

The big thing was me asking "So if it caught fire and burned my house down, Apple wouldn't be at fault?" The customer service comes out when a possible lawsuit is involved.

It'll be a 120 GB, at least.

Damn, what's with all these Apple products burning these days? I thought that was Dell's game.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I would plug it back in and let it catch fire that way you could tell apple that if you don't get a free new ipod your going to sue them for potential fire hazard or something! lol worth a try right?

EDIT: I didn't read the whole way down the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.