Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I hope this means an iPhone app has been submitted and is just waiting approval since these other two are already released. But could it also mean its waiting to be approved because of AT&T not being happy with the potential of it?

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Well, I'm not sure why AT&T would not be happy with a Google Voice app. It doesn't use VoIP like Skype or anything. Besides, there's already an awesome Google Voice app for the iPhone: GV Mobile. It's like using a second number on the iPhone - complete with visual voicemail and everything.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
There are already 2 unofficial ones that I know of (GV Mobile and VoiceCentral) so I'm sure they'd allow an official one in the store. I hope they come out with one!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So what could the official one do that the unofficial ones can already do today?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
WIt doesn't use VoIP like Skype or anything.

Are you sure about this? In order to have it function on the cellular side, it would need to be programmed into the GSM chip. Since this is a data application, I'd be almost certain it's VoIP.

EDIT: I read this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/168460/google_voice_app_headed_for_blackberry_android_report.html

And it states:

Calls initiated from your cell phone using Google Voice are carried over your wireless carrier's network and are not VoIP calls, according to reports.

Even though it's carried over the carrier's network, I would think it is still considered data by the carrier, not a voice call. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although GV Mobile is a very nice app (VoiceCentral just so so), there are numerous reasons for wanting official Google Voice.
  • API: Google does not offer public API (not yet anyway). Unofficial apps such as GV Mobile may cease to function at any time. Although they may modify the app to restore functionality, Google can ask Apple to pull the app at any time.
  • Cost: although GV Mobile offers highly limited but free version, fully featured version cost money. While some may not mind spending few dollars for such app, Google is offering fully featured Android and Blackberry apps for free so it is reasonable to expect the same for iPhone.
  • Features: although GV Mobile is packed with features, it lacks certain key features such as push notification and voice dialing. While Google may not offer such features, they have the infrastructure and may offer more features.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This will not come to the iPhone. At first, Google was putting out features and apps for the iPhone even Android didn't even have. Now, Google has largely been ignoring the iPhone. I wonder what happened?

Anyways, this app would be biting into AT&T's revenues. This service/app allows you to make international calls for very cheap. For example, you can call China for $0.02 per minute using Google Talk. So, only over AT&T's dead body would this come to the iPhone. Remember what AT&T said about the why the iPhone is not allowed to have video streaming over 3G; because they have the power to control its features. Just adding to the list why AT&T sucks...

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
This will not come to the iPhone. At first, Google was putting out features and apps for the iPhone even Android didn't even have. Now, Google has largely been ignoring the iPhone. I wonder what happened?

Anyways, this app would be biting into AT&T's revenues. This service/app allows you to make international calls for very cheap. For example, you can call China for $0.02 per minute using Google Talk. So, only over AT&T's dead body would this come to the iPhone. Remember what AT&T said about the why the iPhone is not allowed to have video streaming over 3G; because they have the power to control its features. Just adding to the list why AT&T sucks...

Skype is an approved app that does the same thing, so the calling may not be the issue entirely.

curtishd

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Seems really coolwhat Google voiceis but could someone explain what the app would do as oppossed to going on line and making the adjustments? Also is there a charge for google voice from google or AT&T? Lastly, when will google send more invites out to join?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Skype is an approved app that does the same thing, so the calling may not be the issue entirely.

True. I guess it depends on whether this runs using WiFi or 3G. I guess it's safe to say that AT&T wouldn't allow this to run on their network, but only WiFi. And from the quote above, it seems like this may run via network. We'll see.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I have a Google Voice account and it is not VOIP. What it does is initiate a call to your phone so it uses minutes, on the other end google is likely using VOIP but you are receiving an actual call to connect you so it runs on any cellular connection edge, 3g or wifi doesnt matter.

Why AT&T may not want it to see daylight is the SMS feature as well as the cheap international calling.

Why an official app is better is because it would be officially supporting the service and the features and not subject to being blocked out as it is the official app. In addition it could possibly support push for the SMS feature that Google Voice has.

This is not a VOIP service or intended to be one at this point although I suppose its possible Google could transition it to include those type of features. As of right now to use the phone call feature you need a working line to receive the calls initiated or placed.

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
I have a Google Voice account and it is not VOIP. What it does is initiate a call to your phone so it uses minutes, on the other end google is likely using VOIP but you are receiving an actual call to connect you so it runs on any cellular connection edge, 3g or wifi doesnt matter.

Why AT&T may not want it to see daylight is the SMS feature as well as the cheap international calling.

Why an official app is better is because it would be officially supporting the service and the features and not subject to being blocked out as it is the official app. In addition it could possibly support push for the SMS feature that Google Voice has.

This is not a VOIP service or intended to be one at this point although I suppose its possible Google could transition it to include those type of features. As of right now to use the phone call feature you need a working line to receive the calls initiated or placed.

I can totally see your point. An official app would be nice, especially when it's backed by Google. However the developer of GV Mobile, Sean Kovacs, has hinted that he's including Push in his next update.
http://twitter.com/seankovacs/status/2625802869

It's a tossup really. I would love the security of a Google app, but when/if that happens is a tossup.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This will not come to the iPhone. At first, Google was putting out features and apps for the iPhone even Android didn't even have. Now, Google has largely been ignoring the iPhone.
Google has announced publicly that it will release Google Voice app for iPhone.
Anyways, this app would be biting into AT&T's revenues. This service/app allows you to make international calls for very cheap. For example, you can call China for $0.02 per minute using Google Talk. So, only over AT&T's dead body would this come to the iPhone.
While some AT&T Wireless customers may pay $3.99/month for discounted "World Connect" international long instance dialing package ($0.15 to $0.18/minute for call to China), it isn't AT&T's bread and butter. By the same token, you can use 3rd party calling card, JAJAH, or Skype to make cheaper international long distance calls.

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
Seems really coolwhat Google voiceis but could someone explain what the app would do as oppossed to going on line and making the adjustments? Also is there a charge for google voice from google or AT&T? Lastly, when will google send more invites out to join?

I got an invite last week and I know of a couple other people that did as well, and I read they are starting to send them out pretty regularly now so if you signed up for an invite maybe it wont be much longer i signed up for an invite in march so it took a couple of months for mine but if they are sending them out more regularly now it may not take that long.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'm very interested in this application, but I have to ask a little bit about Google Voice in general.

In January, I moved from Atlanta to Seattle. I kept my old number with AT&T and have been giving that out to new people I meet. But it's a 770 (Atlanta) area code. With Google Voice, can I get a local Seattle number and have GV forward all calls to that number?

I definitely don't want to switch my number as everyone has my Atlanta number and 99.9% of the calls I get are from cell phones anyway. I'd also like to be able to give out the local number to businesses who look at me funny every time I have to give out my number (ordering takeout and shopping).

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Are you sure about this? In order to have it function on the cellular side, it would need to be programmed into the GSM chip. Since this is a data application, I'd be almost certain it's VoIP.

EDIT: I read this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/168460/google_voice_app_headed_for_blackberry_android_report.html

And it states:

Even though it's carried over the carrier's network, I would think it is still considered data by the carrier, not a voice call. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Actually it is over the cell service. What happens is they call your AT&T number, and then that call connects to your destination. It will still use your minutes though.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
you can get a number in most any area code. so you could likely get a seattle number and use it for the rest of your time regardless of what your actual phone numbers are even if you switch to a new number ever.

I'm very interested in this application, but I have to ask a little bit about Google Voice in general.

In January, I moved from Atlanta to Seattle. I kept my old number with AT&T and have been giving that out to new people I meet. But it's a 770 (Atlanta) area code. With Google Voice, can I get a local Seattle number and have GV forward all calls to that number?

I definitely don't want to switch my number as everyone has my Atlanta number and 99.9% of the calls I get are from cell phones anyway. I'd also like to be able to give out the local number to businesses who look at me funny every time I have to give out my number (ordering takeout and shopping).

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
you can get a number in most any area code. so you could likely get a seattle number and use it for the rest of your time regardless of what your actual phone numbers are even if you switch to a new number ever.

I have an unused Google Voice allocation. I just looked it up and Seattle is available. In the 206 area code they're handing out 552-XXXX numbers.

jdechko: Yes, you can do exactly what you want. Your Atlanta can continue to call you directly and the Seattle people can call the Google Voice number which will forward to your Atlanta-number cell. That fixes everything for you.

curtishd

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I have an unused Google Voice allocation. I just looked it up and Seattle is available. In the 206 area code they're handing out 552-XXXX numbers.

Digipimp: Yes, you can do exactly what you want. Your Atlanta can continue to call you directly and the Seattle people can call the Google Voice number which will forward to your Atlanta-number cell. That fixes everything for you.

If you or anyone out there has an extra google voice invite let me know as I need one. Thanks.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Digipimp: Yes, you can do exactly what you want. Your Atlanta can continue to call you directly and the Seattle people can call the Google Voice number which will forward to your Atlanta-number cell. That fixes everything for you.

Sweet, thanks guys. This is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. When my wife calls me from work is the only time this has truly been an issue as it would be a long distance call. But being able to give out a local number to local businesses will save me some odd looks and explaining that 770 is the area code :)

Though I guess it isn't as bad as my mother-in-law's situation. She has a North Carolina cell with the area code 252, and there is a local 253 area code.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
I've been using Google Voice since it was Grand Central. It takes a bit of training without an App. Luckily I have it on my iPhone. You have to train yourself not to click the person's missed call to immediately call them back. Need to first dial your google voice number first and use them as the operator to dial out to your contact. I've been using GV Mobile to automate this process. From the time I click on the GV Mobile icon and then logging in (saved Pw), and then to communicate to Google as the switchboard operator and finally to when the call is finally made and you're talking to someone, it can take sometimes up to just under a minute.

Don't know if this is for the masses yet but for me, it works.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

For Now:

If you don't have an Android powered device or a Blackberry you can use Google Voice on your phone by visiting http://www.google.com/voice/m

I use the link in Safari and it works rather seamlessly. It does indeed call your linked number (cell phone in my case), Accept Call, then it dials the number you punched in and presto you're connected.

The receiving number sees your google voice number.

I do wish it worked like Skype but over 3G. Just because lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.