Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:19 AM   #1
hexdump
macrumors newbie

Logic in today machines.

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new computer. An imac is really an option I'm handling. I mainly use computer for music and programming. How well logic perform in today imacs in terms of vsti's , etc...?

P.D My target machine would be a 2.9 HZ C2d imac.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.
hexdump is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Luap
macrumors 65816

There are folks using MacMini's for pretty sizeable Logic projects. A modern iMac will be plenty powerful enough in most cases
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
djarpit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap View Post
There are folks using MacMini's for pretty sizeable Logic projects. A modern iMac will be plenty powerful enough in most cases
how bout the 15" mbp base model?
djarpit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarpit View Post
how bout the 15" mbp base model?
I think what happens as you use smaller computers is you run into a limit on the number of software instruments you can run at once before you have to bounce or "freeze" a track.

The real limitation on a MBP is th screen size. 15" is very small for this kind of work.

As for real time performance. Logic and Garage band use the same engine. Logic's user interface and feature set is much larger but under all that the egines are the same and so the real-time performance will be the same. So, look a the activity meter while running GB to get a feel for it.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:56 PM   #5
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
Apple stripped Logic of VST support, using AUs instead. AUs are great, but somethings still come only as VST, either because the company does not want to release a AU version, or because they have no clue how to build an AU version. There are VST wrappers, but I have not gotten them to function in Logic. Logic is a great program. However there still is a larger learning curve then others.

Logic is a great program, I currently am having some issues, but when it runs it runs.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio