Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

"Comcast Mobile App" Hits the App Store

U.S. cable TV and Internet provider Comcast has released Comcast Mobile App [App Store, Free], offering integrated access to the company's Digital Voice, Digital Cable, and High-Speed Internet services on the iPhone. Macworld provides an overview of the application's package of features.

Quote:
The Comcast Mobile App lets you access your Comcast e-mail, manage your Digital Voice account, peruse Comcast's TV listings, and watch trailers for movies on Comcast On-Demand. The opening interface can be viewed as a list, a grid, or in a CoverFlow-like icon rotation. Shaking the iPhone switches between these three views.
The application offers a "SmartZone" inbox that displays both e-mails and voicemails for Comcast subscribers, viewable either in a combined feed or in separate lists. The application also allows for management of the subscriber's Digital Voice account, providing such features as call logs and call forwarding settings.

Comcast Mobile App also offers television listings, providing the ability to mark shows as favorites, share program descriptions over e-mail, and set reminder alerts for shows. Unfortunately, the application does not offer a DVR interface that would allow subscribers to remotely schedule recordings. Finally, the application offers on-demand viewing of movie trailers. Comcast is reportedly looking at ways to offer additional content beyond trailers, but there is no word on when new content might be deployed.

Article Link: "Comcast Mobile App" Hits the App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Pretty cool. I like the TV listings. Now I don't have to roach titan tv every time I need to know what the next show is about.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Speedracer04
macrumors 6502a

I wish they included a way to pay your bill from the app...
Speedracer04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Fafafoooey
macrumors member

Cablevision?

Why can't Cablevision offer an app like this?
Fafafoooey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
JDawg76
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer04 View Post
I wish they included a way to pay your bill from the app...
or program your DVR
JDawg76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Comcast doesn't allow us to set our DVR from anywhere but the DVR itself. No mobile services, no setting it online. I just don't understand why TiVo & DirecTV can do it no problem, but Comcast neglects to give us the feature. Do other cable providers like Time Warner allow remote DVR setting abilities?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:30 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
Why can't Cablevision offer an app like this?
+1

Contact them and tell them you want it. I did.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...nduser/ask.php
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
MarkAK
macrumors newbie

By default it is set to look for messages every 5 min.
I had to go into setting and turn it to manual.
MarkAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:33 PM   #9
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, without being able to program your DVR from this program, it's mostly useless in my opinion. We can answer our comcast emails already and there are various free tv guide apps out there. The On Demand is nice, but if you're not in front of your tv set, what good is it? And if you are in front of your tv set, do you really need this app??!!
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Comcast HD isn't available with this new app; and it only displays so many channels. They need to include HD or it's useless to those with Comcast HD....
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:10 PM   #11
80s Fan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAK View Post
By default it is set to look for messages every 5 min.
I had to go into setting and turn it to manual.
How does this work? Doesn't this check your e-mail ONLY when you are already in the app? I can't imagine Comcast would be able get this to check e-mail while you are in other apps or not using the phone.
80s Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:31 PM   #12
MarkAK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Comcast HD isn't available with this new app; and it only displays so many channels. They need to include HD or it's useless to those with Comcast HD....

It shows HD in the 700 range of listings.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:32 PM   #13
MarkAK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Fan View Post
How does this work? Doesn't this check your e-mail ONLY when you are already in the app? I can't imagine Comcast would be able get this to check e-mail while you are in other apps or not using the phone.

Good quesiton.....

I dont know.

It is checking every 5 or 10 or manualy on there server and then sending an alert ot your phone when it needs to?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Speedracer04
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Good quesiton.....

I dont know.

It is checking every 5 or 10 or manualy on there server and then sending an alert ot your phone when it needs to?
or just set up your comcast email to go to the email app already on the iPhone? why go to two places to check email?
Speedracer04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:39 PM   #15
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
It shows HD in the 700 range of listings.
Ok, I'll check it out; thanks.....

UPDATE: Yup, I like the app except for the DVR options....
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:02 PM   #16
Excellerator
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
Comcast doesn't allow us to set our DVR from anywhere but the DVR itself. No mobile services, no setting it online. I just don't understand why TiVo & DirecTV can do it no problem, but Comcast neglects to give us the feature. Do other cable providers like Time Warner allow remote DVR setting abilities?
Time Warner doesn't allow remote setting either. I wish they did. Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:28 PM   #17
pacmantech
macrumors member

The app is fairly useless without DVR recording. I'd pay good money if I could remotely program my DVR.

I'm guessing it's close to impossible because Comcast utilizes different boxes in different markets, and a lot of the DVR boxes aren't even close to being able to offer that technology.
pacmantech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:12 PM   #18
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellerator View Post
Time Warner doesn't allow remote setting either. I wish they did. Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.
Verizon does with fios, but we'll never see an iPhone fios app (unless the iPhone makes it over to Verizon, which i highly doubt despite the occasional trickle of rumors).
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:13 PM   #19
OneMike
macrumors 68040

it's not a bad app but I don't really see any advantage to this over i.tv other then the on demand
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:49 PM   #20
somedcmacguy
macrumors newbie

I've seen the prototype...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantech View Post
The app is fairly useless without DVR recording. I'd pay good money if I could remotely program my DVR.

I'm guessing it's close to impossible because Comcast utilizes different boxes in different markets, and a lot of the DVR boxes aren't even close to being able to offer that technology.
I've seen some of the early proof-of-concept work. It works, and it's coming. Probably to comcast.net initially but other apps over time. You're spot on about the different boxes being a challenge, but I think there's a plan to address that (not sure what it is). But remote programming of DVRs is high on the list of new features to roll out. So is multi-room viewing, etc (first iteration will have the same program only one unit that FiOS has). There's a lot of new features they're trying to roll out in the next 18 months. The release schedule is moving from glacial to a more aggressive approach.

Basically they're going to start leveraging a lot of the companies they've been acquiring over the past 3 years like thePlatform and Plaxo. There's rumors of them writing an API as well, which would allow 3rd party developers to write apps as well, although I'd bet they'll restrict the hell out of it ala-VZW.

<can't use my real name>
somedcmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:52 PM   #21
somedcmacguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedcmacguy View Post
I've seen some of the early proof-of-concept work. It works, and it's coming. Probably to comcast.net initially but other apps over time. You're spot on about the different boxes being a challenge, but I think there's a plan to address that (not sure what it is). But remote programming of DVRs is high on the list of new features to roll out. So is multi-room viewing, etc (first iteration will have the same program only one unit that FiOS has). There's a lot of new features they're trying to roll out in the next 18 months. The release schedule is moving from glacial to a more aggressive approach.

Basically they're going to start leveraging a lot of the companies they've been acquiring over the past 3 years like thePlatform and Plaxo. There's rumors of them writing an API as well, which would allow 3rd party developers to write apps as well, although I'd bet they'll restrict the hell out of it ala-VZW.

<can't use my real name>
Oh, almost forgot one of the coolest things I saw demoed: Change the channel via web service... So a future iPhone app 'should' be able to program the DVR (right from the channel guide) AND be used as a basic remote to change channels. Not sure if that one will make it out of the lab but It was pretty damn cool to see...
somedcmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:30 AM   #22
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedcmacguy View Post

<can't use my real name>
That's such good news.
I'm not going to ask how you know this... but do you have any idea of a time frame until remote DVR settings rolls out?
In the Miami market where I live, we use the same Motorola boxes that FiOS uses and I'm sure they are perfectly capable of remote DVR support. If differences in boxes in different markets are a problem, you'd think they would universalize the boxes across the entire comcast network or at least just offer advanced services in the markets that are capable of handling them.
What ever happened to the whole Comcast integrating TiVo menus and services into the Comcast set top boxes? Did that ever deploy? Is that ever going to go network wide?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:52 AM   #23
ChefJayPeek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellerator View Post
Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.
Dish Network says they do, but as my DishDVR isn't online yet, I have not been able to test it yet. I think it is only from a webpage so far, and not an app.

Chef Jay
ChefJayPeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:04 AM   #24
paul100
Banned

Comcast has given a wonderful iPhone app. Where you see the TV programs listings. Watch movie trailers on demand and many more. We would be happy if they would have provided even movies on demand too.
paul100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:29 AM   #25
prairiefire
macrumors member

Not Work Unless You Have Comcast Email?

To use this, it appears that you need a Comcast.net account. I have a Comcast.com account -- although Comcast delivers my email, I use Earthlink.

I can't get this app to work because it requires an "account" with a .net ending. Mine has .com.

Anyone with .com making it work? Obviously, I don't expect (or need) email support. I just want the TV side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sjh
prairiefire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion