Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret provides details for the long rumored redesigned Apple displays.

According to the rumor site, the new displays will offer DVI connectors in lieu of Apple's ADC connector and also offer firewire connectors built in.

The new screens should come in at 20" (1680x1050), 23" (1920x1200) and 30" (2560x1600) sizes with dramatically new aluminum designs. ThinkSecret also offers an artist rendition of the new screens.

A 30" Apple LCD has long been rumored.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Awesome... A new dual 2.5 and 30" would suit my office nicely. Now if only I had $6,000. Doh.

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
From the look of this new display it looks like Apple wants to enter the TV market like Dell, but its a little unfortunate that this 30'' Monster would only be available for the PowerMac G5s. Still good news for me since I could now buy a 20'' at a cheaper price or better yet a 23'' at the cost of a 20'', cause I highly doubt Apple would increase the price of already high priced displays. Also I like the idea of being able to save money on that damn ADC-DVI adapter for my Powerbook!! At first it seem a little ugly but I remember back when ThinkSecret broke the story of 3G iPods and I thought the artist rendering showed an ugly-looking iPod, but once released I thought they were actually much more beautiful than my 1G iPod, so we'll see in the coming days as I tend to keep an open ear to ThinkSecret.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Sweet. Although I wish there was a cost-effective 17" option. I hope they can get the 20" under a thousand. The question is, when? I hope they release it at the same time as the new powermacs.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Apple needs some big price cuts on their displays to get them screaming out the doors and into the hands of consumers, not bigger displays. It would be best to have both....obviously, that's not going to happen. The old displays will be bought/sold on eBay and the new displays will look better and still be overpriced (in comparison with almost any other TFT monitor you find in MacMall etc.).

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Great news (rumor)

Glad to see DVI...much cheaper

Shame that the 30" only works with G5PM...

Looking forward to the optomistic price point. Now if only Apple had a cheap Digital tuner accessory...

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
I think it's a good idea Apple is dumping the ADC for DVI.
ADC is a great idea, but DVI is industry standard and they
will make more money selling a ton of these.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
One word: ugly.

I like the cut in half G5 Photoshop job that was circulating a couple of months ago.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Hey, did i say it's ugly? :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
greenmonsterman said:
Sweet... except for the whole DVI business.

I want one.

and OMG my first... first post
Actually the switch to DVI will eventually mean that we will be getting video card soon after they start shipping to PC users.

Right now we are waiting 6 months to a year to see the PC cards updated to ADC, then they tend to stay around awhile.

So the killing of ADC can be the best news for Mac users in quite awhile, especially for PowerBook users.

---

Remember PCI-e is right around the corner, and without DVI monitors we will be in a world of hurt during the transition as we wait for them to layout the new cards all over again to add the ADC inline crap to the card.

With DVI we should be making a smooth transition to PCI-e rather quick.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I think the loss of ADC was a good idea. Sure the idea was nice, but Apple needs to sell these displays. Plus didn't you have to get ADC video cards made special? This should allow some flexibility with the video cards then too.

Apple display quality is always excellent, so I'm sure these will be stunning. I can't wait to drop into my local Apple reseller and check a 30" Apple display out......

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This is FAR more interesting than their PM G5 predictions. I don't know about you guys/gals, but a 20 inch 1600 x 1000 LCD under $1,000 would be a dream. I have a 1280 x 1024 Sony LCD and it's so much better on my eyes than a CRT. Plays games well, too. Plus, all of my friends are jealous. :)

Mattski

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Australia
ADC is brilliant

I would be very dissapointed if ADC is dropped. Who want's an additional powerpack and clutter on their desk?

ADC is one of the things that I love about Apple displays. One connector, no mess.

:(

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Sun Baked said:
Actually the switch to DVI will eventually mean that we will be getting video card soon after they start shipping to PC users.

Right now we are waiting 6 months to a year to see the PC cards updated to ADC, then they tend to stay around awhile.

So the killing of ADC can be the best news for Mac users in quite awhile, especially for PowerBook users.

---

Remember PCI-e is right around the corner, and without DVI monitors we will be in a world of hurt during the transition as we wait for them to layout the new cards all over again to add the ADC inline crap to the card.

With DVI we should be making a smooth transition to PCI-e rather quick.

I agree. No ADC requirement means ATI / nVidia 3rd party contractors can build cards for Apple faster. Doesn't necessarily mean they will... but it'd be nice to have an ATI x800 right about now. My next G5 will have one if I can possibly do it.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Yep. That's a nice thing indeed.

agentmouthwash said:
I think it's a good idea Apple is dumping the ADC for DVI.
ADC is a great idea, but DVI is industry standard and they
will make more money selling a ton of these.

Yep - it's been a nightmare for me in a mixed Apple/Sun/SGI/Peecee environment trying to keep the adaptors straight. Everyone seems to be agreeing on DVI, which makes my life easier. Dual-input would really make me even happier, as many of us end up using 3rd-party monitors just to get that ability.

Luckily, Samsung's SyncMasters are decent enough LCD's - not chub-inducing like Apple's displays, but enough to keep me happy. :D

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Wish I had the cash!

Too bad about the extra wires but 30" and firewire! Awesome. :cool:

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
So with built in firewire, does that mean there is a firewire cable to connect the monitor to the computer and to make a firewire hub. I don't know, this really doesn't make much sense, DVI doesn't carry power, so you need to plug it in to power also. If this is the case, then I am very happy with my ADC 23" cinema, one cable is very clean, and I get a USB hub in the monitor, I have more USB than firewire appliances.

Really, this doesn't appeal to me, I am cofortable with the 23" plus my cpd 540, and I really don't care if it matches the G5. Now, if the pixel response and brightness were different, that would be a different story. I am holding judgment untill they are released, thinksecret has lost my trust since their "comfirmed june 8th G5 updates".

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I hope they offer a 17" widescreen display too! I can't afford a $999.00 20-inch display, but $699 can definitely be done. C'mon apple, I wanna give you more money! :)

Why would they only offer 20" and above? Some people like/need 17" :confused:

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Mattski said:
ADC is one of the things that I love about Apple displays. One connector, no mess.

Exactly...

I have a daisy chain of surge strips as it is... and my cinema display has an ADC connector. No more plugs! :(

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I can't believe this. I came on the site 2 mins. after this was posted thinking that I could get first post and here I am at number 19. :D :D

Anyway, I like the idea of a 30" display, but that artist who drew that thing should be fired. That thing is gross. Looks worse than a PC display, you know, like those kind that Dell makes. Apple wouldn't release that. I still support the Aluminum displays.

JOD8FY

EDIT: Make that number 27 :D :D

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.