Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1
bert01
macrumors newbie

External HD Apple & Windows

Hi I need some help with my western Digital External HD (about 250 gb) not being able to recognize on a windows computer. I used Utility Disk to erase the External HD space, but I can't seem to get the Windows computer to find External HD location. The external HD works fine on my iMac but not Windows. I have formatted my external hard drive way too many times but can't find a solid to solution. What should I do or how should I whip it out clean? Please. I too don't like windows but I kinda need to store some large amount data in there.
bert01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:56 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

You have to use a format that Windows can read. Try formatting it as NTFS. You'll also need something like MacFuse that allows your iMac to read/write to NTFS.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:00 AM   #3
spinnerlys

You need to format the external drive with FAT32, so that Windows and Mac OS X can recognize it and write to it.

If you use Disk Utility, FAT32 is called MS-DOS as Voulme Format.

spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:28 AM   #4
bert01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
You need to format the external drive with FAT32, so that Windows and Mac OS X can recognize it and write to it.

If you use Disk Utility, FAT32 is called MS-DOS as Voulme Format.

MS-DOS (FAT) does not work, already tried it.
Macfuse seems good, but I won't try it yet until Tomorrow afternoon (right now its late). I notice I need to input specific key terms in the terminal in order to get my my usb drive to read NTFS. Windows is being a douche to my external hard drive. Right now i just installed MacFuse 2.0 pkg and off to bed. Its weird that my external drive use to work on Windows, but now it wouldn't.
bert01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:18 AM   #5
spinnerlys

Do you know, what file system you external HDD has?

Also MacFuse has to be used in combination with the NTFS-3G drivers to be able to write to NTFS formatted volumes in Mac OS X.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help