Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
dunlapface
macrumors newbie

How to install OSX on new blank hard drive?

Hey guys. I am new to the site, and a new macbook owner as well. My macbook only has a 120gb hard drive and I have already upgraded the ram to 4gb so before I start using it daily I want to get a bigger hard drive in it and the new Leopard OSX because I currently have the Tiger.

When I get my 320GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200rpm hard drive and I install it (which seems very easy to do, almost like the same as taking out and replacing the ram), what steps do I need to do when I boot up the laptop with the blank hard drive? Do I need to put the CD in before I boot it up? Will it prompt me to do anything as it boots up?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I am new to the site so I don't really know how to navigate quite yet. If anyone can help me out that would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
dunlapface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
MarkCooz
macrumors 6502a

get the leopard cd in your drive

when it boots' up and you hear the sound
Quickly press and hold C to boot from the superdrive/combo drive.

then install screen should go from there.

hopefully this will help you!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
NP3
macrumors regular

No worries. Put in your Leopard install disc that came with your computer, and while its starting up hold down option. Select the disc to boot from it.

The installation should be normal...if the installation errors out & the disc needs to be formatted go up to the menu bar under...applications? or utilities is what its called? And select disk utility. It'll need to be a HFS+ Journaled drive I believe. Then quit disk utility and that'll put you back in the installation phase.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapface View Post
Hey guys. I am new to the site, and a new macbook owner as well. My macbook only has a 120gb hard drive and I have already upgraded the ram to 4gb so before I start using it daily I want to get a bigger hard drive in it and the new Leopard OSX because I currently have the Tiger.

When I get my 320GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200rpm hard drive and I install it (which seems very easy to do, almost like the same as taking out and replacing the ram), what steps do I need to do when I boot up the laptop with the blank hard drive? Do I need to put the CD in before I boot it up? Will it prompt me to do anything as it boots up?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I am new to the site so I don't really know how to navigate quite yet. If anyone can help me out that would be MUCH appreciated.
Boot from the Leopard Install DVD. Instead of installing, go to Disk Utilities to partition your hard drive. Choose "1 Partition" (or 2 or whatever other number if you want, but you don't need more than 1), set the file system to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" (or something like that), and under "Options" check that you got "GUID Partition Table". Quit Disk Utilities, and you are back in the installer and you can install Leopard.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
dunlapface
macrumors newbie

My 2008 MacBook should be compatible with the 320gb hard drive right?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:15 PM   #6
hamchapman
macrumors newbie

Yeah it should. Basically, a hard drive is a hard drive. If it fits, it's compatible.
hamchapman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:16 PM   #7
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapface View Post
My 2008 MacBook should be compatible with the 320gb hard drive right?
As long as it's a 2.5" SATA you should be fine.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:39 PM   #8
dunlapface
macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I just heard that some motherboards will only allow up to certain sized hard drives and it will only show the space that is compatible even if it is more.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
That hasn't been true since the G3 Macs many years ago.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook