Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
In searching Amazon.com I see they have an older cheaper version of Mobile Me and new 2009 version for a significantly higher price.
What is the difference between these two versions?
I'm a PC but I have an iPhone.
When the software is updated does that mean you need to make a purchase in order to get the new update?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
All the box really contains is an activation code that you enter on the MobileMe website when you create your account (or make your trial account "official").

You'll notice that nobody's bothered to review the "new" version, ... I'm guessing nobody's purchased it. :D

The only time you need to repurchase anything is when your subscription is ending (and you want to continue it).

If you haven't already, sign up for a free MobileMe trial and kick the tires before you buy! :)

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
All the box really contains is an activation code that you enter on the MobileMe website when you create your account (or make your trial account "official").

You'll notice that nobody's bothered to review the "new" version, ... I'm guessing nobody's purchased it. :D

The only time you need to repurchase anything is when your subscription is ending (and you want to continue it).

If you haven't already, sign up for a free MobileMe trial and kick the tires before you buy! :)
Thank you for your response.
That is what I thought.
I am on a trial and I like it very much so that is why I was looking at Amazon to purchase it, but I am confused on why they would offer two different versions if you really just need the token. Is the token specific to different versions/features then?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
There is only one level of MobileMe service (unless you buy a Family Pack, but that's just more licenses to use the same service, essentially).

Amazon probably just has some old .Mac boxes with codes in them that they refer to as the "old" version. Those codes should work fine with the MobileMe service, too.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I am confused on why they would offer two different versions
The graphics on the retail packaging change every so often, ... that's about the only difference between what Amazon is calling the "2008" and "2009" versions.

clyparkr

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
My mobile me account just expired(full 1 year version)... do I have to renew through apple or can i purchase this off of amazon and keep my same account?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Amazon would be fine, as long as they ship it to you promptly. Apple only holds your data for so long after your MobileMe account has expired. (I don't remember how long)

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
Amazon would be fine, as long as they ship it to you promptly. Apple only holds your data for so long after your MobileMe account has expired. (I don't remember how long)
According to the renewal reminder email I just got, it's 15 days after the expiration date.

I got the .mac account when I bought my iMac in May 08, don't remember if I paid for it or not. I don't think I've ever used it. I think they extended my subscription a few months when they were stumbling through the mobileme transition last year.

I'm fine with gmail and other email accounts. I have an unlimited-capacity ad-free account for online photos at zenfolio.com for forty bucks a year. I'm happy using box.net for online file storage/backup/access and file collaboration. I don't own any Mac gadgets except my iMac. So I just don't see the need for mobileme.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Just FYI: I bought the old version through Amazon.com, the code arrived and it worked just fine in renewing my MobileMe subscription.

One other thing to note: you do NOT need to be near the end of your current subscription to use the box to renew. It just adds on a year to the end of your current subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.