Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahinxp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Hi guys. Thanks for reading this. I've got a few questions regarding the new 13" MBP that I hope you'll definitely be able to answer. I've searched through the forums but didn't really find a to-the-point answer.

1. I've been using the 2008 Aluminum Macbook for quite sometime now and with 30%-40% screen brightness and Xampp, Photoshop, firefox, a text editor running (No airport or bluetooth, I use a USB modem stick), I get about 3.30 hours of battery life. Now, my question is, (I'd prefer some answers from guys in the Graphics/web design field) how much battery life can I expect from 13" Macbook pro at the above setting and with the same programs running?

*Please don't point me to any other thread unless it answers the exact same question.

2. On my Alu macbook, when I'm running the same applications mentioned above at the same settings, my temp NEVER goes up to 62C, I mean ike NEVER, it always stays around 60C, now, if I was on a 13" MBP, what's the heat's going to be like? I know MBP's been known for heating a little more because of the spec bump but I really need to know if it's going to stay below 70C if I was running the same programs. Heat is really important for me. My Alu macbook feels really comfy at 60C on my lap and I never have to move it to give my lap a rest or breeze. I've been planning on upgrading to 13" MBP because of the battery life but I really need to make sure the temps remains comfortable. Please answer this question from your experience with precise numbers if possible.

Thanks again for reading.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I owned a late 2008 aluminum macbook and upgraded to a mid 09 13 inch mbp and the heat is not really any different. Its cooler if anything. also, I use smcfancontrol to regulate the temp if necessary.

its gets hot on a soft surface like any notebook. On a hard one its usually just fine.

shahinxp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks a lot for your input tempusfugit. Could you please tell me about the battery life of your MBP?

shahinxp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I experience about 20-25% more time with the 13" uMBP vs 13 uMB, so if you're uMB is giving 3 1/2 hrs with your current usage now you can expect to get approx 4 1/2 with the uMBP.

And how's the heat on your uMBP? Does it really get hotter than uMB, I know hot/hotter is a subjective word, but seeing that you own both, could you please put some comparison numbers from your experience?

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
The heat from my 13" MBP is ~50*C

But this varies a lot based on how hot my house is. If it's a hot day, it'll get up to 60-65*C....but if it's cooler then the temps are around 45*C

...those are CPU temps btw

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
And how's the heat on your uMBP? Does it really get hotter than uMB, I know hot/hotter is a subjective word, but seeing that you own both, could you please put some comparison numbers from your experience?

They both seem to be about the same and both run a lot cooler than our previous 2.2 SR BlackBook and 2.0 white MacBooks.

I don't often use CPU intensive programs, typically running is Safari, Mail, iChat, Skype, iTunes, Word, Adobe reader, QT and a few others plus some Youtube and a bunch of menubar apps. My uMBP is running about 18 hrs /day with iTunes streaming all the time. iStat reports CPU at 58-60 and my fan is usually idling at 2000 rpm. The top case feels like room temp unless the battery is charging or the HDD is being used a lot. The bottom usually feels slightly warm.

I can say that my uMBP fan hardly ever speeds up unlike my 2.2 SR BlackBook which would regularly speed up especially if I had Finder open - then the fans would scream. Opening Finder doesn't affect the uMB(P)'s. I was never able to use my BlackBook on my lap without something shielding the heat whereas my uMBP is warm but not uncomfortably so.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Just intstall smcfancontrol and adjust the minimum fan speed so you laptop stays cool. The fans will make a little bit of noise but it definitely isn't as bad as some pc laptops that sound like a jet engine when the fans rev up. If you put the fans up high enough while you are using CPU intensive apps then the MBP will stay relatively cool. So if you see the temperature getting above where it is comfortable for you, then just make the fans spin faster and it will cool back down.

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Just intstall smcfancontrol and adjust the minimum fan speed so you laptop stays cool. The fans will make a little bit of noise but it definitely isn't as bad as some pc laptops that sound like a jet engine when the fans rev up. If you put the fans up high enough while you are using CPU intensive apps then the MBP will stay relatively cool. So if you see the temperature getting above where it is comfortable for you, then just make the fans spin faster and it will cool back down.

smcfancontrol is not tested for our machines, and even if it was I would rather trust Apple to control my fans and temps. Just my 2¢

shahinxp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks a lot for your kind inputs jerry, the temp report was really helpful.

smcfancontrol is not tested for our machines, and even if it was I would rather trust Apple to control my fans and temps. Just my 2¢

I'd really like to take your side on this Jerry, even though I've heard that apple might have miscalculated the fan speed towards the temp and stuff. Heat is not gonna be a problem I can see/feel, and in my experience, I haven't heard any noise even when I set the RPM to 3000, which might not seem enough when running cpu intensive apps but it does cool down the cpu a little more than 2000 does. The point is, I agree with Jerry here because I really love my macbook, I've owned like half a dozen pc laptops but none of them could nearly beat the alu mac. And the reason I too wouldn't want to push the fan is because pushing it means putting it in more pressure than normal, it least that's what I feel.

I'm still confused about getting the uMBP for just an hour more battery life though, (but I'm pretty sure I'll buy one anyway, as soon as I've saved up enough, probably next month) I mean, the alu mac works just fine for me, I never needed a SD card slot, never needed firewire- I don't even know how it works, I mostly work from home, and the only reason I'm dying for a uMBP is the battery life and the slighly* better screen (*I'm a web designer but after profiling the colors, it -9c8c- just serves as good as my very trusted Samsung CRT and better than my LCD). I go to a place every now and then and spend like 5 hours there with my alu mac, the problem is, I have to carry the charger every time cuz battery runs out after 3 and half hours and I'd really like to spend the whole time there without a charger. I carry my mac in a sleeve and you should know how bulky and disturbing it gets when you have to carry the charger.

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I go to a place every now and then and spend like 5 hours there with my alu mac, the problem is, I have to carry the charger every time cuz battery runs out after 3 and half hours and I'd really like to spend the whole time there without a charger. I carry my mac in a sleeve and you should know how bulky and disturbing it gets when you have to carry the charger.

FWIW, If I am just surfing and email (no iTunes), the hard drive isn't working, BT off & 50% screen brightness, I have seen my battery indicator show 8 hrs.

Also, if one chooses to bump up the fan speed with smcfancontrol that's gonna shorten the battery run time a bit.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
and the slighly* better screen (*I'm a web designer but after profiling the colors, it -9c8c- .....

Not sure if you've already purchased the 13 mbp but the display alone with it's wider color gamut and viewing angles is far better than the alu mb. If you design, there's no excuse not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.