Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If your water indicators were to turn red, would you consider purchasing legitimate r

• Yes, I would

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • No, I'm too cheap

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • No, I'm too honest

Votes: 52 47.3%

• Total voters

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
EDIT: So in my haste, I didn't notice the poll cut off the question. It should read:

If your water indicators were to turn red, would you consider purchasing legitimate replacements for around $4.99 each?

I was just curious... if a company were to start reselling the actual, legitimate water contact indicators used by Apple, how many of you would be interested in buying them at around $4.99 in the event that yours turned pink? Given the kind of money you'd be saving on a replacement with fresh indicators, I think it'd be worth it by far.

yum114

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I wouldnt buy them but I wouldnt say all who used them is attempting to defraud apple. we know how sensitive these are c'mon now they turn in cold weather without ever being in contact with water

I was just curious... if a company were to start reselling the actual, legitimate water contact indicators used by Apple, how many of you would be interested in buying them at around $4.99 in the event that yours turned pink? Given the kind of money you'd be saving on a replacement with fresh indicators, I think it'd be worth it by far.

Huh? Why not just phone your insurance company and tell them that you lost it and get them to give you a new one. Hell, my insurance company says that if I write off my car within the first 2 years they will buy me a brand new one - that means that every 23 months I should drive it into a brick wall and get a new one for free; nothing wrong with that right?

If there is a legitimate reason for your water indicator turning pink then you should be able to convince the genius of this. Otherwise you are effectively stealing.

Some people appear to have different moral values than me though.

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hell, my insurance company says that if I write off my car within the first 2 years they will buy me a brand new one - that means that every 23 months I should drive it into a brick wall and get a new one for free; nothing wrong with that right?

It's sad how many people really don't think there's anything wrong with that. I only ask the question assuming that the majority of tripped water sensors have nothing to do with actual water damage to the device.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
4.99? If I made them I'd charge more like $100. I mean if you're making it easy for people to be dishonest about their product usage, you might as well be dishonest about your pricing.;)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
They are only indicators. If the device otherwise shows no sign of actual water damage, there shouldn't be a problem with a tripped sensor or the guarantee.

Water damage is easy to spot afterall.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Way to rip off Apple. Only reason someone would do this is if they dunked the phone in the water. If the phone was not dunked and moisture or rain or something triggered the sensors, that's Apple's fault and it should be replaced. Most times it is.

Cescfabregas4

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
4.99? If I made them I'd charge more like $100. I mean if you're making it easy for people to be dishonest about their product usage, you might as well be dishonest about your pricing.;)

If i know my phone never went into water and the sensors were somehow triggered I may in my moment of anger. From what I have read Apple are being crooks over the water sensor isssue.

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
They are only indicators. If the device otherwise shows no sign of actual water damage, there shouldn't be a problem with a tripped sensor or the guarantee.

Water damage is easy to spot afterall.

If you wet one of the indicators, you're SOL and they will make you buy a new phone, at least that's what I've read on the forums here. I wonder how the humidity down here affects it....

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
If i know my phone never went into water and the sensors were somehow triggered I may in my moment of anger. From what I have read Apple are being crooks over the water sensor isssue.

+1

I would in a heart beat IF I did not expose the phone to water in any way. It wouldn't be fair to an honest customer. No wonder some people resort to this type of stuff.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
+1

The placement of the top sensor is ludicrous! A lucky raindrop could make it's way down there before you'd even realised it was raining. Perhaps we shouldn't use our phones outside on grey days just in case...

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I smell fanboys in here. If moisture materially affects the product that is one thing. If Apple is merely going on the sensors, they are never proving that damage was or wasn't caused by moisture.

And for all the talk of defrauding Apple, doesn't anyone think it's an invasion of privacy for Apple to spy on its customers with these sensors? What about using SMS to report to Apple by Internet when a computer has been dropped?

I think the sensors report false information and are used inappropriately by Apple to declare water damage. Water damage to what--the sensors? Lol, no one sends in the sensors to get fixed. I wouldn't buy this product, but I also wouldn't accept Apple's word that a product was damaged because an internal sensor had changed color. I live in an area of the country where the humidity gets to be 100% much of the summer.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I smell fanboys in here. If moisture materially affects the product that is one thing. If Apple is merely going on the sensors, they are never proving that damage was or wasn't caused by moisture.

And for all the talk of defrauding Apple, doesn't anyone think it's an invasion of privacy for Apple to spy on its customers with these sensors? What about using SMS to report to Apple by Internet when a computer has been dropped?

I think the sensors report false information and are used inappropriately by Apple to declare water damage. Water damage to what--the sensors? Lol, no one sends in the sensors to get fixed. I wouldn't buy this product, but I also wouldn't accept Apple's word that a product was damaged because an internal sensor had changed color. I live in an area of the country where the humidity gets to be 100% much of the summer.

Invasion of privacy? Are you really using that term here? You do realize EVERY cell phone has these sensors. Every single one of them. Lots of electronics have these sensors. The reason being, people would gladly return a phone and say it does not work leaving out the fact that it was dropped in water. Hence why this thread is here to begin with. Dishonest people. Same goes with the dropped laptops. Again, why should Apple, let alone ANY COMPANY replace damaged items caused by the end user? Please explain that to me?

If people where honest - these security features probably would not exist. However, people are not honest thus companies have to protect themselves against fraud. Stop throwing around terms that DO NOT apply to the discussion.

You sound like Al Sharpton. Trying to make a huge deal out of something that isn't a deal at all. :rolleyes:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Invasion of privacy? Are you really using that term here? You do realize EVERY cell phone has these sensors. Every single one of them. Lots of electronics have these sensors. The reason being, people would gladly return a phone and say it does not work leaving out the fact that it was dropped in water. Hence why this thread is here to begin with. Dishonest people. Same goes with the dropped laptops. Again, why should Apple, let alone ANY COMPANY replace damaged items caused by the end user? Please explain that to me?

If people where honest - these security features probably would not exist. However, people are not honest thus companies have to protect themselves against fraud. Stop throwing around terms that DO NOT apply to the discussion.

You sound like Al Sharpton. Trying to make a huge deal out of something that isn't a deal at all. :rolleyes:
I'll respond to your comments:

I don't realize that literally every phone has these sensors. I would have no way of knowing that.

Yes, I really used the phrase invasion of privacy.

As to you asking me to explain why Apple should replaced items damaged caused by the end user, I never said Apple should repair or replace any item damaged by the end user. I said the water sensors can indicate water damage to the actual product when there is none.

I don't think anyone or any company, including Apple, is ever completely honest or dishonest. There are social contracts which make allowances for this humanity, including the acceptability of these sensors, which I was questioning, a questioning that as a consumer, is part of the social contract. Apple questions its customers by including these sensors. It's a tug of war. Regardless of honesty, however, I was discussing the accuracy of the sensors and the propriety of adding them to a product without publicly acknowledging their existence.

Finally, I have no comment about the reference to me sounding like Al Sharpton. I wouldn't know where to begin.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'll respond to your comments:

I don't realize that literally every phone has these sensors. I would have no way of knowing that.

Yes, I really used the phrase invasion of privacy.

As to you asking me to explain why Apple should replaced items damaged caused by the end user, I never said Apple should repair or replace any item damaged by the end user. I said the water sensors can indicate water damage to the actual product when there is none.

I don't think anyone or any company, including Apple, is ever completely honest or dishonest. There are social contracts which make allowances for this humanity, including the acceptability of these sensors, which I was questioning, a questioning that as a consumer, is part of the social contract. Apple questions its customers by including these sensors. It's a tug of war. Regardless of honesty, however, I was discussing the accuracy of the sensors and the propriety of adding them to a product without publicly acknowledging their existence.

Finally, I have no comment about the reference to me sounding like Al Sharpton. I wouldn't know where to begin.

So what you are saying is you just assumed Apple was the only one that was doing it only because they are EVIL and want to INVADE your privacy? Do a little research before you start just saying things.

Lastly, if privacy was of a concern to you, you would NOT be on here posting messages. Better yet, you would not be on the internet at all. Let alone, have an iPhone. Which by the way, is traceable at all times. On or off.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I think it's funny that the OP calls these "legitimate" replacements for the water sensors. I certainly don't agree that the water sensors actually perform the way they are supposed to (or at least there is a question as to their validity that Apple needs to show the consumer), but I don't think one should defraud Apple. It might be better to take this issue up with the BBB or some other avenue.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Did someone say Apple is spying on people because of these sensors???? Really?? Oh my god. That is the funniest thing I have read in quite some time. Where do people get these ideas?

Its called personal responsibility. If the sensor gets tripped and you did nothing, take it in and plea your case. If it gets tripped and you caused the damage, and you buy one of these things, you are simply a dishonest person and karma will get you.

Thus the problem with people in this world, dishonesty reigns supreme it seems.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Did someone say Apple is spying on people because of these sensors???? Really?? Oh my god. That is the funniest thing I have read in quite some time. Where do people get these ideas?

Its called personal responsibility. If the sensor gets tripped and you did nothing, take it in and plea your case. If it gets tripped and you caused the damage, and you buy one of these things, you are simply a dishonest person and karma will get you.

Thus the problem with people in this world, dishonesty reigns supreme it seems.

Yes, someone said it; it was said in this very thread by me. It truly is my perception of the situation. Apple places a sensor that serves no purpose to the end user in their computers and phones. Unlike a temperature sensor which tells a computer when to accelerate its fans, this sensor does nothing except to indicate that the sensor itself has been exposed to some level of moisture. The end user is generally unaware of the sensor being there, and the purpose of it is to collect information that is then sent to Apple when the computer is sent in for repair. I would call that spying. I'm not saying it's an egregious offense. I'm simply categorizing it as spying and as I said previously, I think it's an inaccurate way to determine whether a piece of hardware was damaged by water. The only thing it determines is whether some moisture affected the sensor itself.

If Apple uses these sensors to declare computers or phones water damaged without actual material evidence that the device was not working because of water damage, I would say that, on the other hand, is dishonest.

I agreed with you in my post that I would not purchase replacement sensors, and that if I were in a situation where I believed there was no water damage, I would simply make my case. I don't think you saw my post before responding to it.

As far as honesty goes, it seems hypocritical to make an edict that dishonesty reigns supreme. Can you truly know that dishonesty reigns supreme?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
So what you are saying is you just assumed Apple was the only one that was doing it only because they are EVIL and want to INVADE your privacy? Do a little research before you start just saying things.

Lastly, if privacy was of a concern to you, you would NOT be on here posting messages. Better yet, you would not be on the internet at all. Let alone, have an iPhone. Which by the way, is traceable at all times. On or off.

No, I never said that. You're asking me to do research to support something I never said. You asked me if I knew that every device has these sensors. And I said, no, that I had no way of knowing that.

I don't have an iPhone. I am not concerned about my personal privacy. I was speaking about issues of privacy, as it relates to the topic of Apple sensing moisture entering a device. I can have an opinion on this subject without it personally affecting me.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I think the issue is blown out of proportion. I recently had my iPhone exchanged since the speaker stopped working. The first thing the Genius checked was BOTH water sensors... I was kind of surprised, I never knew of the second one. Anyway no problems, and this phone has been through all kinds of weather from the humidity of Daytona Beach, FL to the freezing cold of Colorado (-13°F). I honestly don't think the sensor would ever be "tripped" do to natural weather/environments.

If you take the phone into a sauna, maybe, but then again electronics aren't meant for use in extremely high-humidity unless they are 100% sealed, which no commercial phone is (that I know of).

Also since they're two sensors, I doubt tripping one (like if a rain drop fell into the headphone jack) would automatically void your warranty. Plus, show me one instance that the rain drop theory happened, I doubt it.

To me this all sounds like hearsay and typical adolescent whining of MR forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.