Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hi, I'm looking for a external HD and have basically decided on getting a 1TB drive. I'm considering either the LaCie which is $150 (I'm in Canada :p), or the Fantom G-Force which is $130. The 500GB LaCie is only $100 though so that's a possibility too. I'm just torn on which brand to go with...whether the extra $20 is worth the nicer look and the "brand name" of the LaCie enclosure versus the Fantom. Both have gotten good reviews from what I can tell...the most important thing is that it doesn't die on me and lose all my data. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Personally, I recommend the Western Digital 1TB MyBook drives

Each drive will have its fans and its horror stories
I have used LaCie with no problems in the past but I am very pleased with WD

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Personally, I recommend the Western Digital 1TB MyBook drives

Each drive will have its fans and its horror stories
I have used LaCie with no problems in the past but I am very pleased with WD

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I would also recommend the WD Mybook. If you are looking for something portable, the Western Digital Passport Studio is by far the best external drive I have bought. It is 500GB and has USB, FireWire 400, and FireWire 800. And, it only cost me $100.

oregon2

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Just get the cheapest, and try to find out what hard drive is inside the enclosure. The drives are for the most part going to be made by the same companies anyway.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Wow you guys are quick :p Thanks for all the advice. The Fantom one is the cheapest I've seen for the size, do any of you have much experience with their drives? And also, Fantom sells one that's $5 more with firewire...is it worth it or is USB faster? Thanks again

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Wow you guys are quick :p Thanks for all the advice. The Fantom one is the cheapest I've seen for the size, do any of you have much experience with their drives? And also, Fantom sells one that's $5 more with firewire...is it worth it or is USB faster? Thanks again

Definitely Firewire 800 > USB 2.0
And worth the money to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hey man thanks. That's great that firewire is faster...do you know if there's a dramatic difference or if it's really minor? Would I need to buy a firewire cable or would the drive come with one?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hey man thanks. That's great that firewire is faster...do you know if there's a dramatic difference or if it's really minor? Would I need to buy a firewire cable or would the drive come with one?

Drive will come with it and Firewire 800 is significantly faster than USB 2.0

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Perri

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
I would also recommend the WD Mybook. If you are looking for something portable, the Western Digital Passport Studio is by far the best external drive I have bought. It is 500GB and has USB, FireWire 400, and FireWire 800. And, it only cost me $100.

This is my first time posting, so sorry if it is wrong.

But WOW, where did you find the WD Studio for $100. I'd like in on that deal.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This is my first time posting, so sorry if it is wrong.

But WOW, where did you find the WD Studio for $100. I'd like in on that deal.

Actually, I believe the Passport and the Studio are different

But the Studio 500 GB with Firewire is listed on Amazon here for $109

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...these days I wouldn't spend that much money on a 500 GB drive... I got a simpletech 2 TB duo pro for $215 and its got quad interface (esata, USB2, FW400 & FW800)...it can run in RAID 0 or RAID 1 also...

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I've got the 1TB Fantom Drive. It's got USB and eSATA, but no Firewire.

It's actually a Western Digital Green drive in it. Reasonable transfer rates, reliable, no problems at all. I will be likely selling it soon so I can buy something with FW800 though.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks ddeadserious, but they do offer a triple interface one in Canada at least...by firewire I assume they mean firewire 800? How come firewire's faster, if USB speed rates are shown as faster? I think the stats were 48mbps or something for firewire vs. 60 for USB..

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Thanks ddeadserious, but they do offer a triple interface one in Canada at least...by firewire I assume they mean firewire 800? How come firewire's faster, if USB speed rates are shown as faster? I think the stats were 48mbps or something for firewire vs. 60 for USB..

Those assume Firewire 400, Firewire 800 is obviously much faster then both. The other thing is that USB varies, that is the peak transfer rate, whereas Firewire goes at said speed.

As for the actual discussion, I know little about Fantom, but...
This one is about LaCie...
Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...

Panzo

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2006
i have a 500gb lacie designed by Fa porsche, looks nice, never gave me problems.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Be sure to get a drive that actually turns itself off!

I have a LaCie D2 (250GB, had it for 3 years now) which is great, turns itself off when disconnecting, goes to standby when my computer goes to sleep etc...

I also have a newer LaCie Neil Poulton modell, and it's a piece of junk!!!!
Only USB 2.0 ( i knew this when i bought it, but i didn't need a performance drive), but the most annoying thing is that it's loud, doesn't shutdown or go to sleep itself.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'm probably going to go with the Fantom. I'm confused though...if it's Triple Interface does that automatically mean its firewire 800 or firewire 400 or both??

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Hi, I'm looking for a external HD and have basically decided on getting a 1TB drive. I'm considering either the LaCie which is $150 (I'm in Canada :p), or the Fantom G-Force which is $130. The 500GB LaCie is only $100 though so that's a possibility too. I'm just torn on which brand to go with...whether the extra $20 is worth the nicer look and the "brand name" of the LaCie enclosure versus the Fantom. Both have gotten good reviews from what I can tell...the most important thing is that it doesn't die on me and lose all my data. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

got no problems with Lacie, Seagate or Wester Digital (my last choice of the three). Stay away from Maxtor though. I've got bad experience with the brand but that was prior to them merging with Seagate so the Qc might have changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.