Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongrel73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
It's legal to buy an unlocked iPhone here in Hong Kong, but it isn't where I live in the UK. In the UK you have to get an O2 contract in order to get an iPhone. In my house only vodafone gets reception and I've already got a good contract with vodafone, so I don't want to switch to O2.

So if I buy the iPhone here (from Apple, so it is legit), then take it back to England and put in my vodafone sim card, will it work?

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK
If unlocked then now worries. I have been using a 2GB on vodafone for the last 12 months no problem. I but it from the CPW when they dropped the price just before the 3G came out. Took it home unlocked, jailbraked, and hacktivated it so i did not need to sign up to O2 and get them to activate the phone.

D

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
vodaphone

Just another confirmation here - bought an unlocked iPhone 3Gs from Italy (Vodafone Italia) a couple of days ago. It works perfectly using a UK Vodafone sim card.

Just activate using iTunes and sync up. Couldn't be more simple.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
Just to inform though that push apps will not work with push.
Are you sure this is the case with factory unlocked phones? I thought this was only true of hacked devices on other networks but I may be wrong.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Are you sure this is the case with factory unlocked phones? I thought this was only true of hacked devices on other networks but I may be wrong.

I misread, but I am not sure in this case. Since the iPhone is factory unlocked, it should theoretically work, however, further investigation into the APNS data reveal that carrier information is also sent for identification, so, unless Vodafone-UK is an approved carrier, it may not work.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I misread, but I am not sure in this case. Since the iPhone is factory unlocked, it should theoretically work, however, further investigation into the APNS data reveal that carrier information is also sent for identification, so, unless Vodafone-UK is an approved carrier, it may not work.

It works on Centennial and T-Mobile in the U.S., and they're not approved carriers.

BOOM, 604!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.