Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
macmania82
macrumors regular

best notepad++ alternative for Mac?

what is the best alternative of notepad++ for Mac?

macmania82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Textmate or Textwrangler.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 01:26 PM   #3
macmania82
macrumors regular

TextWrangler looks pretty good for my question thanks...

ps: I know textmate and already using for web development : )
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:29 PM   #4
TheBuffather
macrumors regular

First off, you'll find out that any Mac program, compared to Notepad ++, is much more intuitive and easy-- you'll save lots of time.

With that said, I recommend Coda. Why? Because if you start off with a FTP program and various text editors / subversion apps, you'll get fed up fast. Coda allows you to do most everything you'll need to (assuming you're a web designer OR will use FTP). Once you get used to a text editor, it's hard to switch because you get used to the colors. Although, sure, you can change the colors- it's annoying to do.

Expresso is also another great choice, and like Coda, it is an "all-in-one" sorta app.

If you simply want a text editor, try Smultron (free)- it's fast, easy, and lightweight. Textmate is also a very capable text editor. Try CSSEdit for faster CSS editing, if your a web designer.

Hope this helped out.

Apple, Sports, History, Firearms, HAM Radios, Web Design, Rock & Roll
Orlando, FL- JeremyBuff.com
MBPr - MBA - iPad Retina - VZW iPhone 5S

TheBuffather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:15 AM   #5
macmania82
macrumors regular

thanks for detailed comment @JBuff88 : )

Coda is the first app which I have downloaded I tried that few hours, than downloaded textmate to compare. actually interface is important for me, thats why Coda looks cool to me for now. I dont know much about other details, maybe textmate is better for faster coding, I dont know. there must good reasons why so many people go for textmate, even more people than coda users as I found out.

I asked about notepad++ alternative because of some quick editing works. rather than opening coda or textmate.

Smultron seems good. I will give a try, thanks for link!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:57 AM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmania82 View Post
I asked about notepad++ alternative because of some quick editing works. rather than opening coda or textmate.
I've found that Textmate opens faster than BBEdit, TextWrangler, Coda, Dreamweaver, and is comparable to TextEdit...
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:59 AM   #7
phuonglee
macrumors newbie

Thanks, Textwrangler is the best choice
phuonglee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Nikh
macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing info, Textwrangler looks really cool.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

I just spend some time myself trying to find the best program, and IMO Journler is the best. Not to simplistic, and also not to fancy/needlessly complicated. Also the interface is very good.
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

When I'm on a Mac, I use Textwrangler to edit one-off files, and Coda when I'm working on projects.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Oats
macrumors regular

Gotta give a shoutout to my favorite editor recently: Sublime Text

It is being actively developed. Not free, but fully functional with only an occasional nag, until you've fallen so in love with it, that you finally buy the license.
Oats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

I've spent some time now with Journler, and this program is amazing. I've searched for a good notepad program for a long time, and this is the only program that really works well IMO. There are other programs too, but they tend either to be too simplistic or too complicated.
Journler can do a lot more than just keeping simple notes, but it doesn't come off as overly complicated in any way.

Last edited by Mac32; Aug 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:28 PM   #13
a.jfred
macrumors 6502

I've been learning Python & Ruby on Rails, and I use TextWrangler. Love the colours & the ability to see line numbers - it makes life *so* much easier. Also, TextWrangler is free

And while I know it's not a huge deal, but I love the fact that I can alias it to open from a shell script (okay, you can do that with pretty much any editor, but it's also made life easier).
a.jfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:07 PM   #14
seeker83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmania82 View Post
thanks for detailed comment @JBuff88 : )

Coda is the first app which I have downloaded I tried that few hours, than downloaded textmate to compare. actually interface is important for me, thats why Coda looks cool to me for now. I dont know much about other details, maybe textmate is better for faster coding, I dont know. there must good reasons why so many people go for textmate, even more people than coda users as I found out.

Smultron seems good. I will give a try, thanks for link!
TextMate is Great!, but CODA has an absolutely great interface, which allows for editing files and connecting to different servers within one application.
I think CODA's integration with ftp and text coding is excellent combination and has increased my efficiency. I've been looking for a program like this and hopefully they keep updating it and making it better.
seeker83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store