Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmania82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
TextWrangler looks pretty good for my question :) thanks...

ps: I know textmate and already using for web development : )

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
First off, you'll find out that any Mac program, compared to Notepad ++, is much more intuitive and easy-- you'll save lots of time.

With that said, I recommend Coda. Why? Because if you start off with a FTP program and various text editors / subversion apps, you'll get fed up fast. Coda allows you to do most everything you'll need to (assuming you're a web designer OR will use FTP). Once you get used to a text editor, it's hard to switch because you get used to the colors. Although, sure, you can change the colors- it's annoying to do.

Expresso is also another great choice, and like Coda, it is an "all-in-one" sorta app.

If you simply want a text editor, try Smultron (free)- it's fast, easy, and lightweight. Textmate is also a very capable text editor. Try CSSEdit for faster CSS editing, if your a web designer.

Hope this helped out.

macmania82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
thanks for detailed comment @JBuff88 : )

Coda is the first app which I have downloaded :) I tried that few hours, than downloaded textmate to compare. actually interface is important for me, thats why Coda looks cool to me for now. I dont know much about other details, maybe textmate is better for faster coding, I dont know. there must good reasons why so many people go for textmate, even more people than coda users as I found out.

I asked about notepad++ alternative because of some quick editing works. rather than opening coda or textmate.

Smultron seems good. I will give a try, thanks for link! :)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I just spend some time myself trying to find the best program, and IMO Journler is the best. Not to simplistic, and also not to fancy/needlessly complicated. Also the interface is very good.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
When I'm on a Mac, I use Textwrangler to edit one-off files, and Coda when I'm working on projects.

Oats

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New York
Gotta give a shoutout to my favorite editor recently: Sublime Text

It is being actively developed. Not free, but fully functional with only an occasional nag, until you've fallen so in love with it, that you finally buy the license.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I've spent some time now with Journler, and this program is amazing. I've searched for a good notepad program for a long time, and this is the only program that really works well IMO. There are other programs too, but they tend either to be too simplistic or too complicated.
Journler can do a lot more than just keeping simple notes, but it doesn't come off as overly complicated in any way.

Last edited:

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I've been learning Python & Ruby on Rails, and I use TextWrangler. Love the colours & the ability to see line numbers - it makes life *so* much easier. Also, TextWrangler is free :)

And while I know it's not a huge deal, but I love the fact that I can alias it to open from a shell script (okay, you can do that with pretty much any editor, but it's also made life easier).

seeker83

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
thanks for detailed comment @JBuff88 : )

Coda is the first app which I have downloaded :) I tried that few hours, than downloaded textmate to compare. actually interface is important for me, thats why Coda looks cool to me for now. I dont know much about other details, maybe textmate is better for faster coding, I dont know. there must good reasons why so many people go for textmate, even more people than coda users as I found out.

I asked about notepad++ alternative because of some quick editing works. rather than opening coda or textmate.

Smultron seems good. I will give a try, thanks for link! :)

TextMate is Great!, but CODA has an absolutely great interface, which allows for editing files and connecting to different servers within one application.
I think CODA's integration with ftp and text coding is excellent combination and has increased my efficiency. I've been looking for a program like this and hopefully they keep updating it and making it better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.