Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Alright, so I have a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.8 Ghz Unibody June 2009. I was having some temperature and trackpad problems. When I tried to do the SMC Reset, it mentions here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411 that while holding down (left) shift-control-option and the power button the LED on the adapter is supposed to momentarily turn off. But my LED on the adapter didn't momentarily turn off so I'm not sure if the SMC did reset. I just want to know if any of you guys have tried to do an SMC reset on the June 2009 Macbook Pro's.

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
The instructions are different for the newer ones.

If the light didn't blink, it probably didn't reset.

That's so weird. I guess the new Macbook Pro's with the built in battery can't do an SMC reset. Hopefully Apple will address this problem:rolleyes:

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
huh that's odd cause i have the early '09 model and the way i described has always worked for me. oh well. sorry bout that:eek:

Yeah the LED doesn't "momentarily" turn off for the June 2009 macbook pros. Unless it has worked for someone, which I want to know

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
there is a little note at the bottom of that page saying that you must use the keys on the left side of the keyboard. that could be your problem.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 433

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
there is a little note at the bottom of that page saying that you must use the keys on the left side of the keyboard. that could be your problem.

Yeah, if you read my post I stated that I used (left) shift-control-option and then power. (left) meaning on the left side of the keyboard

mrj412

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I did not have any problem doing this on my new 13" MBP and it worked as described. From a powered off state, hit the keys and the light on the power adapter turned off for a few seconds and then back on.

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I did not have any problem doing this on my new 13" MBP and it worked as described. From a powered off state, hit the keys and the light on the power adapter turned off for a few seconds and then back on.

hmm that's strange cuz I'm doing everything correctly, did you install the smc firmware update?

beanmarine101

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I also have a new June 2009 MBP (15-inch) and was having the same issue of the SMC apparently not resetting. I was terrified that my fans were permanently beyond control and would need replacing. After having the laptop run on battery for a while, I plugged back into the charger and gave one last attempt.

Lo and behold, after about TEN seconds of holding the keys and power button, the indicator turned from red to green, and when the indicator turned back to red I was able to boot. My fan issue was gone and the SMC clearly reset.

Just be sure to have the battery charging when you do this and hold the keys until the color changes, because five seconds won't seem to do on the new models.

bigd95112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I also have a new June 2009 MBP (15-inch) and was having the same issue of the SMC apparently not resetting. I was terrified that my fans were permanently beyond control and would need replacing. After having the laptop run on battery for a while, I plugged back into the charger and gave one last attempt.

Lo and behold, after about TEN seconds of holding the keys and power button, the indicator turned from red to green, and when the indicator turned back to red I was able to boot. My fan issue was gone and the SMC clearly reset.

Just be sure to have the battery charging when you do this and hold the keys until the color changes, because five seconds won't seem to do on the new models.

Awesome dude, that's probably what I have to do. Thanks:D

sr71mimidude

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Fix

sometimes we think that the SMC is our problem for noisy fans, sometimes is, sometimes not. The SMC reset process u should do it when your battery is not fully charged, the led from the charger is red, so you can see when the computer changes from red to green, then again to red, thats when the smc reset. If the reset thing didnt help you with your noisy fan then is not the smc, is that your fan needs lubrication. You can follow the steps on this websites (apply also to the macbook pro unibody).

http://nofilmschool.com/2009/02/how-to-fix-a-noisy-macbook-pro-fan/

PS i revived the thread because i ended here trying to fix the noisy problem and the link above was my solution.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Did that work for you? I can't seem to reset the SMC on my 13" MBP. The LED is just solid green the whole time. I've held the keys for a minute and still nothing.

uhh... point #5 reads:

Press the power button to turn on the computer. Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter does not change states or temporarily turn-off when you reset the SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

MacJaBS

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
SMC Reset

Thank you everyone...

I followed the instructions to reset the SMC of my MacBook and pressed the 4 buttons for about 20 seconds. When I released the buttons the LED (of the power supply) then changed to green for about 30 second.

Lo and Behold my SD slot works again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.