Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexholly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hi guys im new to macs i am currently running pro tools 8 on windows funiily enough on a quad core pc with 2 gig of ram

pro tools seems to run ok on it when it works fine i produce dance music run around 30 tracks a session with loads of plugs etc reverbs delays on most tracks .

But i have decided to change to mac to hopefully iron out all the problems i get with pt on windows

im going to hopefully purchase a mac book pro with 4 gig of ram i may upgrade it to 8 .

will this be powerfull enough to run pro tools 8 le running say 10 plug ins 30 odd tracks all with eqs on cpressors and what mac book would i need to go for surely the 2.5 spec macbookpro would be sufficiant

thanks guys

Alex

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm not sure personally, but I do know my dad's iMac (07 iMac I think, 667MHz RAM, 2.4GHz I think) ran too slow for him, it worked I think, but he moved it to his 8-core Mac Pro.

So I'm not sure how your MBP will go.

Kind Regards

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
pro tools seems to run ok on it when it works fine i produce dance music run around 30 tracks a session with loads of plugs etc reverbs delays on most tracks .

why so many reverbs? are they all different? if not, you can buss them and save lots of processing power.

same with delays, but those don't chew up resources like reverbs do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.