Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
EDIT: OK, so I've worked out that the new HD is the problem, as miniConvert and NewMacbookPlz mentioned, it looks like a permissions problem. So what's the best way of fixing this:

a) Reclone my drive using SuperDuper (again) or Carbon Copy Cloner?
b) Restore from Time Machine backup?
c) Repair permissions from my working HD (is that possible?)?

I really appreciate everyone's help so far - I think this is close to being solved!

Original: I have just installed a new HD and 2x2GB RAM into my late 2007 2.2GHz MacBook. I booted my laptop, and it all was going fine, however no apps will work - they all crash at launch. The HD seems to be fine, I can view all my files in Finder, etc, but no apps. I reinstalled the original RAM, and same thing, so I'm now typing this from my iPod touch.

What could cause this? How can I fix it? It seems strange the computer will boot, but won't launch apps...

The new HD is a clone of my old one using SuperDuper.

Please help - thanks in advance!

alwayshear

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Try putting the macbook back to it's last working configuration. Check to make sure it is operating properly and then do one modification at a time. First install the memory, if it works fine with the previous HD then try the new HD.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the advice - I'll replace everything and hope I can solve it from there.

I used SuperDuper to clone my HD as it was recommended by a website - are there normally permissions problems with it?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You can try Repairing Permissions from Disk Utility, see if that helps.

If it's THAT bad, repair the permissions from your OS X DVD.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Could I restore my new HD to my old Time Machine backup? Would I lose anything?

You can try Repairing Permissions from Disk Utility, see if that helps.

If it's THAT bad, repair the permissions from your OS X DVD.

But because Disk Utility is an app, it won't open ... I think Time Machine, DVDs or re-cloning might sort it, I'll test It asap to make sure it's not
RAM...

OK, so I've worked out that the new HD is the problem, as miniConvert and NewMacbookPlz mentioned, it looks like a permissions problem. So what's the best way of fixing this:

a) Reclone my drive using SuperDuper (again) or Carbon Copy Cloner?
b) Restore from Time Machine backup?
c) Repair permissions from my working HD (is that possible?)?

I really appreciate everyone's help so far - I think this is close to being solved!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Try repairing the permissions by booting off your OS X DVD and running the disk utility-->permissions repair from there instead of from your HDD.

That may still work.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Try repairing the permissions by booting off your OS X DVD and running the disk utility-->permissions repair from there instead of from your HDD.

That may still work.

I did it off my old HD (which I now have connected externally), and it didn't work... I'll try with the DVD this time (I recloned it using Carbon Copy Cloner, same problem).

Just a(nother) question - if I do a clean install on the new HD, will Migration Assistant work? And if so, would it pull everything across, or does it leave some stuff behind (media? apps? licenses?)?

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.