Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivo10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Hey guys,

I was hoping you could recommend me a Blu-Ray burner for my new Mac Pro.

From what I've found, these are the top 2 choices:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

and

http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-external-dvd-burner-BE06LU11.jsp

The second one is external - I prefer internal that I can drop into the Mac Pro. But it does have LightScribe - nice! Maybe there's something out there that is internal AND has LightScribe?

Any recommendations? Who here has installed a blu-ray burner into their Mac Pro?

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I also agree, stick with the LG GBW-H20L or GGW-H20L. I use one and it works great. It can also be found on NewEgg for ~$150. Just run a SATA cable from the logic board up to the optical bay.

Ivo10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Nice, thanks for the feedback. Has anyone had experience with the MCE model?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I didn't realize they had gotten so inexpensive! Can this actually burn a Blu-Ray disc, playable in a consumer Blu-Ray player? (FCE>Toast10>Blu-Ray)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Okay... how many BR discs are you going to burn? Remember, a 25 pack of quality BR discs costs ~$80. BR is a waste of money IMHO. Each disc costs a fortune, disc burning hardware costs a fortune, disc reading costs a fortune. BR isn't like a Ferrari sports car compared to a Toyota. More like Honda compared to a Toyota.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Blu-Ray is mainstream and the right medium for 1080p quality video. Neither hard disk nor online or Flash are suitable for 12 GB video files. A pitty that Apple still cannot see the light.

Zokim

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New York
Okay... how many BR discs are you going to burn? Remember, a 25 pack of quality BR discs costs ~$80. BR is a waste of money IMHO. Each disc costs a fortune, disc burning hardware costs a fortune, disc reading costs a fortune. BR isn't like a Ferrari sports car compared to a Toyota. More like Honda compared to a Toyota.

I totally agree and this is what's keeping me from buying one myself. The media is just way too expensive for practical use. Unless you are making money from it, it's a waist.

For the cost of 25 disks, you could get a 1tb hd.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
I totally agree and this is what's keeping me from buying one myself. The media is just way too expensive for practical use. Unless you are making money from it, it's a waist.

For the cost of 25 disks, you could get a 1tb hd.

but the same was said back when DVD-R and later DVD-DL came out... Over time the prices will get lower...

I remember paying > $250 for my first DVD burner and $200 for a pack of 50 blanks.

As adoption picks up, and more and more computers come with the drives built in, the prices will drop....

And some of us really NEED the space!

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Yeah, for distribution of long run true HD video nothing is as cost effective as a Blu-Ray.

One minute of high quality movie in H.264 takes 90 MB/min. If you burn a movie like "The dark Kight" which is currently broadcasting on Sky HD in Europe over Sky Cinema HD you need a 13,1 GB data carrier. If you burn a standard 90 min movie with the same quality you still need 8,1 GB. So standard movies can go on a DL-DVD for 1$. Two h + videos take BD-R which cost 3,5$. Still not very expensive.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Careful on the mcetech. Its eide/atapi, not sata.

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could recommend me a Blu-Ray burner for my new Mac Pro.

From what I've found, these are the top 2 choices:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

and

http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-external-dvd-burner-BE06LU11.jsp

The second one is external - I prefer internal that I can drop into the Mac Pro. But it does have LightScribe - nice! Maybe there's something out there that is internal AND has LightScribe?

Any recommendations? Who here has installed a blu-ray burner into their Mac Pro?

spoon2eric

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Burning Blu-Ray...

I didn't realize they had gotten so inexpensive! Can this actually burn a Blu-Ray disc, playable in a consumer Blu-Ray player? (FCE>Toast10>Blu-Ray)

Just to actually answer the question asked... I've got a 10.6.1 Hackintosh (Gigabyte) with the LG WH10LS30 (SATA) that burns SL/DL Blu-Ray discs. I bought one DL Blu-Ray for $14 (Fry's) but I did not burn it yet. I'm using Toast 10.0.8, and have created (successfully) blu-ray movies and backup DVD's. Burning takes a VERY long time as my media is crap however, I think the prices are dropping enough as the LG drive is $109 @ (NewEgg)

As far as playing the blu-ray discs on the mac, the drive will not, but I think with the correct software it might work (VLC???)..:confused:

I also bought 25 SL Blu-Ray Discs for $24.99 @ Fry's. They had a $19.99 - 25pk, but couldn't find them (go figure).

I would say that prices are just right for us "early adopters" and since we are not talking about GB, but TB serious HD Movie buffs or DSLR consumers need to start thinking about making the Blu-Ray upgrade. Heck, my old DVD Burner needed an upgrade and for $100 bucks replacing it with a faster DVD Burner + Blu-Ray Burner was a no-brainer.... :D :apple:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
What is the best solution for playing Blu-Ray video discs in Mac OS X? Is there one!? I am in the dark here...

Can you even play Blu-Ray video under Mac OS X?

Can you play it in VLC?

Please help.

Thanks!

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
There's not a good solution for playback in OSX.

The options are pretty much:
- use something like MakeMKV to rip the Bluray and play the ripped file
- use MakeMKV to decode the Bluray on the fly and play it in another program like VLC

See the following thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/841318/

michaeljthom

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Just to actually answer the question asked... I've got a 10.6.1 Hackintosh (Gigabyte) with the LG WH10LS30 (SATA) that burns SL/DL Blu-Ray discs. I bought one DL Blu-Ray for $14 (Fry's) but I did not burn it yet. I'm using Toast 10.0.8, and have created (successfully) blu-ray movies and backup DVD's.

I have a similar setup (albeit running 10.5.8), with the same drive, and can't seem to burn anything. Have you had any success burning BD-R from Disk Utility, or perhaps even from FCP? I don't have Toast, and would rather not add an extra step, unless that's the only way to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.