Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
My MBP is coming in a week and I'm not sure how I'll do this with my jailbroken 3GS. Is it okay if I back up a jailbroken phone? I haven't backed my phone up since I jailbroke it (about 2 weeks ago). Is there a Windows folder for which I can find my backup and transfer it to my MBP ( I have an external HD). Then I put all my songs and apps on my external HD and transfer it to the library, will it let me do that? Or do I just tell the MBP to transfer purchases after I authorize it to use my account? Or should I restore my phone before I use it with a MBP? I want to keep the jailbreaking, so do I have to do a purplera1n jailbreak with Mac again, or keep my current jailbreak without restoring?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Once you plug it into the mac you can authorize that computer with your itunes account and transfer all your purchases from the phone to the mac. It will also automaticly do a backup of your iphone.
Its ok to backup a jailbroken phone, no need to restore.
Just transfer all your stuff like music, videos or pics to the new Mac and you're good.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is it really that simple? I've been hesitating buying a Mac because I assumed that my iPhone was now formatted for a PC and no good on a Mac. I need to go to the Apple site to see if there is information or a tutorial on this. Anyone have any good links?

If this is true, I see a new Powerbook in my future!!

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
The Apple site does have great information look over the tudors.
One thing to consider is when your done with the PC think about de-authorizing it in iTunes if your no longer going to use it. You never know when you may need to authorize something else and it may be too late to do it later.

Food 4 thought

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Is it really that simple? I've been hesitating buying a Mac because I assumed that my iPhone was now formatted for a PC and no good on a Mac. I need to go to the Apple site to see if there is information or a tutorial on this. Anyone have any good links?

If this is true, I see a new Powerbook in my future!!

Yes, it's not like an iPod. iPhone runs a version of OSX. :) No tutorial needed, just deauthorize your previous computer, authorize your new one, connect and you are done. :)

Bessamy

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
WV
Yes, it's not like an iPod. iPhone runs a version of OSX. :) No tutorial needed, just deauthorize your previous computer, authorize your new one, connect and you are done. :)

Does this also apply to iPod Touch? My PC died and I want to move my iTunes to my Mac. But I am a severe MAC newbe.

I don't want to loose all our history in our iPod Touchs. I have 2G, my husband has the 1G, and neither are JB.

Thanks for any help. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.