Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abd091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
it all seems fine and then suddenly when i try to close an application it will freeze and show the same picture during the application and wont move or do anything...

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Welcome to Mac Rumors!

Please give us more information, what you provided us with is very vague. Does this happen with every application each time when you try to quit an app, or does it happen at random, or does it only happen with specific apps?

Try going to Disk Utility and repairing your permissions, see if that helps.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Does this happen on just a certain application? You can repair permissions by going into applications->utilities->disk utility. When you go into disk utility select your Macintosh HD from the left and then go to the first aid tab. Click on repair permissions and wait until it is done. This guide shows what repairing permissions does and why it is sometimes necessary.

abd091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
it doesnt happen with every application and is quite random... and i dont think its always when i quit but most of the times it is....

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
I can't think of a cause for this, but if it freezes you can always force quit the application(s). To do this just right click on the dock icon (CTRL + LEFT MOUSE BUTTON on a laptop) and click force quit. Or you can press ALT + COMMAND + ESC and the force quit screen will pop up.

Also, I have no idea if this will do anything at all to help you, but it certainly wont hurt, you could repair permissions.

abd091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
well its a desktop and i believe its command + control + esc to force quit an application but when it does freeze, it just wont respond when i try to do that and i sometimes have to resort to holding thw power button... and on the rare occasion, it doesnt listen when i use the power button

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
it doesnt happen with every application and is quite random... and i dont think its always when i quit but most of the times it is....

Well just pay more attention to what you are doing and see if you notice any patterns with the freezing. Most of the time it will have something to do with a certain application. If this is the case and you can identify the application, it will be much easier to fix.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
well its a desktop and i believe its command + control + esc to force quit an application but when it does freeze, it just wont respond when i try to do that and i sometimes have to resort to holding thw power button... and on the rare occasion, it doesnt listen when i use the power button

This seems like a permissions problem. One time my keyboard was acting up and I repaired permissions and everything was fine. Please try to repair permissions like we said and see if that helps.

abd091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
ill definately pay more attention from now on but i can definately say that it has happened more than once with warcraft 3: frozen throne.... ya and the problem is that the whole computer freezes and doesnt let me do anything at all..

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
So the whole computer is freezing? Not just specific applications?

Sometimes specific applications can make the whole computer freeze. I have have problems with this when using final cut express. It has happened a few times when I am exporting video.

abd091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
i have just fixed disk permissions and ill keep an eye on the computer for the coming week or so and see if it happens again... if it does ill repost on this thread... thx for ur help

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
If you notice it specifically with WoW, you might be sharing a problem a good amount of other people have. I've never played WoW so I've never had the problem, but maybe a search on MRoogle for "WoW computer freezing" or something similar could help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.