Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
hi all,

basically i want to prank my mate, i want to write a script which changes his homepage to a particular page, and then set this script to run on startup.

is there a way to do this? He uses safari on 10.5.7

thanks very much, this is for jokes, not malicious reasons (I will put him back to normal after a week)

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
hi all,

basically i want to prank my mate, i want to write a script which changes his homepage to a particular page, and then set this script to run on startup.

is there a way to do this? He uses safari on 10.5.7

thanks very much, this is for jokes, not malicious reasons (I will put him back to normal after a week)

Any reason why you couldn't just change his home page in the preferences?

EDIT: Actually, I have a feeling he would figure that out after a week. :eek:

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Honestly, it would be a better prank to change it to one of four sites every second or third time he started his browser. Consistent behavior is not nearly as maddening as seemingly random behavior.

-Lee

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
nothing in there seems to relate to the homepage. I set it to ebay, then searched for ebay in that .plist and it wasnt there

Odd. That's where where mine is. I was changing it to different things to verify right before I posted that before.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 226

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
what program do you open the .plist with? im just using txt edit

'Property List Editor'. It's the default editor for me. If not, it's in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/. Note, I'm not sure if you need to have XCode installed of if that utility comes standard with macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.