Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=417260&pCatg=5902

I'm going to need a monitor for the Mini i have that is bigger than the 13" one i'm using. Although i probably don't need a 21.5" either.

I was thinking that i could rearrange computers and then i could actually use this to watch "TV" (netflix or dvds mainly, but i have an eyetv too) in bed. Right now there is a CRT 19" vcr thing hanging on the wall.... NOT facing the bed i'm using.

I have no clue what specs to check - i haven't bought a TV in years. I'm not anal really - i was back when i made sure i was paying a premimum for Super V stuff, but i think everything has caught up to my standards! LOL!!

I don't have a Blue Ray player, really, just run of the mill stuff....

OH, i guess i should check to see if my Mini can drive that resolution huh? No clue, works well on the 13" :D

I do need a decent picture - not for editing pictures - my DD will be using it for Vision Therapy exercises for 30 min a day. Right now she is using the eMac, but i don't think the ergonomic changes i need to make to her work space will work with that either. I need more space on the desk.

ANYWAY, i'm just thinking that i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if this would work for casual TV viewing from the mini (last gen).

Thanks (and this is about the budget, but i'm willing to order something if there is a better choice, sam's is just 1 mile from the house).

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The Mini can drive monitors of resolution up to 2580x1600

DD? Sorry, never run into that term before.

The only thing that I could potentially imagine is that interlaced footage might not look so good, since monitors are progressive. But I can't tell the difference on my monitor unless it is slowed down or on a pause. I wouldn't worry about it.

How much are you getting it for? I can't see the price on-page, and I am nowhere near a Sam's club, apparently :p

Personally I would wait for the Dell 2209WA to come back into stock, if it was still priced pretty low :D

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The Mini can drive monitors of resolution up to 2580x1600
Thank you - i got sidetracked on my way to go find that last night! :D

DD? Sorry, never run into that term before.
DD=Dear Daughter. I'm a mom first, geek second...

The only thing that I could potentially imagine is that interlaced footage might not look so good, since monitors are progressive. But I can't tell the difference on my monitor unless it is slowed down or on a pause. I wouldn't worry about it.
OK, that sounds ok then. Really, if i'm in bed watching - i don't have my glasses on and i'm not sure what i'm worried about anyway! LOL!!

How much are you getting it for? I can't see the price on-page, and I am nowhere near a Sam's club, apparently :p

Personally I would wait for the Dell 2209WA to come back into stock, if it was still priced pretty low :D
It's $164.87.

Sorry, i guess it keeps me logged in enough to provide pricing!

I've heard good about the Dell, but the price difference is kinda not doable right now (did i mention the ugly nasty long lasting divorce?). I wish they had had it hooked up to something, i might go back and make them fix that.

I also realized that i might have some issues with the kids school content they use it for - we double size the MP4 videos. Although they play with the same quality on the TV, so we might be ok. Something to check out for sure - lending itself more to the buying local for an easier return.

I guess i need to check the budget again... and decide if i'm up to the moving everything around this will bring. That whole divorce thing and not knowing if i'm having to move or not yet.

I was looking at TVs last week - this just seemed like a cheaper and more practical solution!

Thanks!

ETA: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425383&pCatg=5902

If i drop down to that one, i might not have some of the issues with the other 75% of things it would be used for (viewing eyetv recorded sat feed, which wasn't HQ to start with). I wonder if my MBP came with a cable? can't remember (the iBook did), and that would let me take it in and try it with my feed.... but is that worth the effort dragging 3 kids along??

OK, need to ponder resolutions/viewing distance more (more important than normal because of DDs vision problems)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I would recommend a LCD that handle 1080p just so you have all your basics covered for downloadable content on the internet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

I have that and I love it.

Thanks for that link. The price is close enough to maybe make it doable.

Newegg carries both the Samsungs i was looking at (but Sam's beats the prices with instant gratification), i just read all the reviews.

My concern/hesitation on the 2233SW is actually the resolution. I'm worried about a child with vision tracking issues, things might be too small for her to use daily. Hence the thinking of dropping down to the 2033SW.

The fact is that the computer/kid usage of the monitor far exceeds me watching a movie at night or a TV episode. So i can't be so selfish here.

My MBP is the 07 version, running at 1680x1050. I can't imagine running the newer option - this can be tiny for my eyes (and i'm a 40yo version of the younger child in some of the vision areas). But this resolution on a bigger screen would work for her i think.

I guess what i need to figure out is how the text size would be on the 2233 compared to my 17" MBP. THat would help....

I think though since the kids are the primary target for computer usage vs TV that i'm talking myself into the 2033.

OK, i'll ponder it over lunch! LOL!!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Two of the main downsides to using a low-end computer monitor (TN LCD panel) as a TV are (1) limited viewing angle and (2) 6-bit per color channel.

This particular display, for instance, is rated by the manufacturer as 170 degrees horizontal and 160 degrees vertical viewing angles. In reality, they are about 30 degrees vertical (15 degrees up and down) before images become washed out and/or very dark. Horizontal viewing angle is about 30-45 degrees left and right.

Assuming you can tolerate that narrow angle of view, you have 6-bit color depth issue. 6-bit color depth means each of the three LCD elements (red, green, and blue) can vary 64 levels of intensity as opposed to 256 levels (8-bit). That translates to total of quarter of a million colors (262,144), as opposed to 16.7 million. Manufacturers get around this issue by dithering, but the end result is that images won't look as detailed and rich.

The final issue, which may not be an issue to some, is lack of TV features like (1) over-the-air HDTV tuner (which allows you to hook it up to antenna for free local HDTV programmings), (2) speakers, and (3) rich assortment of video inputs like HDMI and S-video.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Two of the main downsides to using a low-end computer monitor (TN LCD panel) as a TV are (1) limited viewing angle and (2) 6-bit per color channel.

This particular display, for instance, is rated by the manufacturer as 170 degrees horizontal and 160 degrees vertical viewing angles. In reality, they are about 30 degrees vertical (15 degrees up and down) before images become washed out and/or very dark. Horizontal viewing angle is about 30-45 degrees left and right.

Assuming you can tolerate that narrow angle of view, you have 6-bit color depth issue. 6-bit color depth means each of the three LCD elements (red, green, and blue) can vary 64 levels of intensity as opposed to 256 levels (8-bit). That translates to total of quarter of a million colors (262,144), as opposed to 16.7 million. Manufacturers get around this issue by dithering, but the end result is that images won't look as detailed and rich.
Well, considering that 2 of the 3 computers in the house that are used all day are laptops - i'm guessing we can deal with the 6 bit panels. Which is why i said - i know it's not the best for photo work, it's not what *I* want at all. But for the kids use i think it should be ok.

The 13" LCD that is on the Mini now is probably 5-6 years old, i'm thinking that it should be better than that? I need more "screen-estate", i don't *need* 20" of it, but with the 16:9 screens you need that to get the vertical they have no on the eMac.

Really, i'm talking this thru as I type - i appreciate all the answers!

Viewing angle shouldn't be a problem, it will be going on a table at the end of my bed for now, so i should be able to see it. I think. But hey, i think Sam's has a good return policy! LOL!!

The final issue, which may not be an issue to some, is lack of TV features like (1) over-the-air HDTV tuner (which allows you to hook it up to antenna for free local HDTV programmings), (2) speakers, and (3) rich assortment of video inputs like HDMI and S-video.
1 & 3 are definitely not a problem in this case. I'm not sure i'll end up with the Mini after the divorce anyway, and all content will go thru the Mini with the EyeTV. I have one of those convertor boxes if i really want to see what i get OTA, but right now there is also basic-basic cable "right there".

2 might be a problem, in all honesty i THOUGHT there were speakers on it when i looked at it the other day in the store. Hmmmm, this should be a no brainer, doesn't everyone who ever bought a "PC" in the 80's have more speakers than they need? Now to FIND a set. Again, i'm not after high performance. Because right now - i'm watching everything on my iPT!

It's an interim solution because i have no clue who gets to stay in the house, if we will be forced to sell it and all that. After all that is settled, then i can figure out what needs to go in what rooms....

Thanks for the input. Maybe i'll just end up trying the 13" and see if they complain? Of course, i'm not sure i could watch a movie on that.... won't be much bigger than the iPT across the room! LOL!!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The big rearrange happened the past few days, and while i could have tolerated the 13" 4:3 LCD panel at the end of the bed, i went and got the 20" Samsung for $139. I was really torn, but i can see it from my pillow, and it's not too big for the desk area. Because the primary user will be a child with vision issues, the 1600x900 won out.

The EyeTV is hooked up and we've watched it and recorded a show on the history channel, the younger ones have watched some streaming from Netflix, and now back to watching Bones.

All in all, i'm happy for now! My pillow will be way more comfy than this chair for watching stuff :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.