Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
So... I'm getting my 3GS replaced on Friday after a good phone call to Apple and the guy mentioned that since the 3GS is only a month old its very likely that my replacement wont be a refurb, but a new unit.

Has anyone here had their 3GS replaced for a problem yet? how's the quality?

Whats the likely hood that the phones are brand new and not refurbs?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Simply, Apple will use new phones for replacements until they're able to refurbish iPhones that had to be replaced/were returned. If your serial number starts with an 8, it's a new iPhone, if it starts with a 5, it's a refurbished iPhone.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
If I bring my box and everything that was included with my phone to the store will they exchange for a brand new unit?

Surely there needs to be some sort of return/exchange policy being that I've only had this phone a month and it bricked on me for just turning off the power.

500.00 bucks for 1 month... I want a new one.

I have my receipt and all accessories. I never even opened the head phones. Apple has me going on Friday, so I'll let you all know.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
+1 ^^^ I brought my receipt, box, accessories and a smile, when I went in to exchange my 3GS 32GB iPhone White, and walked out with a 3GS 32GB iPhone Black. I was able to open the NIB iPhone once again and about 10 minutes later I walked out with my NEW 3GS iPhone and hopped in my car (parked in front of the Apple Store) and transferred all of my data in about 15 minutes on my MBP...:p:p:p

hlysmksbtmn

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
+1 ^^^ I brought my receipt, box, accessories and a smile, when I went in to exchange my 3GS 32GB iPhone White, and walked out with a 3GS 32GB iPhone Black. I was able to open the NIB iPhone once again and about 10 minutes later I walked out with my NEW 3GS iPhone and hopped in my car (parked in front of the Apple Store) and transferred all of my data in about 15 minutes on my MBP...:p:p:p

which store did you go to? how long had you had the first one?

gr8phan

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
NJ
They are new phones. I just got mine replaced yesterday for a supposed bad battery. I asked if they were actually new, and was told that they are all new until they stop making them. Now, I don't actually believe that, but don't see how they could have refurbished any in only three weeks. My serial number starts with 8.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Eventually the 5K ones will be more into the system as more exchanges occur within the next few months or towards next summer.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Surely there needs to be some sort of return/exchange policy being that I've only had this phone a month and it bricked on me for just turning off the power.

500.00 bucks for 1 month... I want a new one.

1 month is pretty much the threshold for any phone as far as getting a new exchange.

If you end up getting a refurb, the only real way you're going to know the phone IS a refurb as opposed to new is the serial number. In fact, many have made the argument that it's probably better to get a refurb as at least they've been fully tested. You've already struck out with a new phone, so clearly there's no guarantee a new phone will without defects as opposed to a refurb.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
i got a replacement yesterday and its build week is 29, which apparently is the latest batch of phones. so i'm guessing these are new for now.

abhi

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I need to replace my iphone. Genius at Apple store already ordered one for me.

The problem is I bought my phone from AT&T online store. Will Apple replace the phone in sealed box like new?

I talked to genius and they said they don't replace the iphone with the brand new sealed box. He showed one white box just containing the replacement phone and said it will be in this box with just iphone (not with all the accessories).

Is it true? I would like to replace it with brand new sealed box. Any way to do this?

Thanks

abhi

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
They are new phones. I just got mine replaced yesterday for a supposed bad battery. I asked if they were actually new, and was told that they are all new until they stop making them. Now, I don't actually believe that, but don't see how they could have refurbished any in only three weeks. My serial number starts with 8.

Did you get the replacement phone in white box containing just the iphone?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I talked to genius and they said they don't replace the iphone with the brand new sealed box. He showed one white box just containing the replacement phone and said it will be in this box with just iphone (not with all the accessories).

Is it true? I would like to replace it with brand new sealed box. Any way to do this?

Thanks
Why? Is there something wrong with your headphones as well? If the only problem is with your phone, why do you need all new accessories as well? :confused:

abhi

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Why? Is there something wrong with your headphones as well? If the only problem is with your phone, why do you need all new accessories as well? :confused:

nope, I was just curious if they are just replacing the phone with refurbished one like AT&T use to do. ATT use to send replacement phone without the battery cover and it clearly said on the shipping receipt that it is refurbished phone.

Since I spent $$ on it I expect it to replace with NIB within 7 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.