Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allxusedxup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
I just want to say that any information that anyone has will help, as I feel that AppleCare will not help me with my problem. I had my computer in sleep mode the other day, and that night we had a bad lightening storm. My computer and everything else is plugged in through a surge protector, and everything works fine (printer, scanner, monitor,cable modem), but when I go to turn on my PowerMac it will not turn on. I press the power button and it lights up as long as you hold it down, but nothing starts up. HELP ME PLEASE!!! :(

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
I'm guessing your computer is Fried. :( However my surge protectors have an "insurance plan" where the company will pay you up to X amount of money for your lost items.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I'm not sure

If you can reset a power management unit on a powermac like on a laptop. Look up resetting the PMU.

And so you know, surge protectors wont keep lighting from killing your computer if you leave it connected. The electricity can just jump over the surge protector and right into the computer, frying it.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
There is a CPU reset switch on the motherboard. It's a black button about, maybe, 1/8" square. Punch it and you can restart.

I've had this happen to me a couple times and that's done the trick, so give it a try. (I'd snap a pic and send it out, but I'm away from my machine...)

Mr Poop E Pantz

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2004
WV
I had a similar problem with my PowerMac. After a friend turned off my UPC (and accident) the computer would not power back on. The button would light but thats all. The fix was to reset the power manager. I was still under warrenty and don't know how to do this myself, but that sounds like the problem.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
varmit said:
And so you know, surge protectors wont keep lighting from killing your computer if you leave it connected. The electricity can just jump over the surge protector and right into the computer, frying it.

um, what? what's the point of surge protector if you had to unplug it? nothing can fry the computer if it's unplugged... unless the surge's time constant is faster than the response time of the protector, surge cannot just jump over the protector. it will be disconnected in time to prevent such a thing.

anyway, the fact your machine lights up when held down tells me it may not be fried. if it was fried, i don't think it would respond at all...

good luck with your diagnosis... and eventual recovery, hopefully...

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
jxyama said:
um, what? what's the point of surge protector if you had to unplug it? nothing can fry the computer if it's unplugged... unless the surge's time constant is faster than the response time of the protector, surge cannot just jump over the protector. it will be disconnected in time to prevent such a thing.

anyway, the fact your machine lights up when held down tells me it may not be fried. if it was fried, i don't think it would respond at all...

good luck with your diagnosis... and eventual recovery, hopefully...

I thought surge protectors were just for surges from in your house, I didn't think any surge protector could save you from a lightning strike.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
virividox said:
unless the lighting strikes your computer directly then the surge protector should protect your computer from lighting that strikes your house and enters the wiring.

thank you. that's what i meant.

regardless, lightning wouldn't directly strike a metallic computer unless it was connected anyway.

btw, i am wrong. i've read up on the way surge protectors work. in an extreme surge created by lightning, ordinary surge protectors may not work. the safest thing to do is unplug. so i stand corrected.

allxusedxup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Thank you all

So before I could check this forum again I called AppleCare. Sure enough it was the PMU, which is very easy to reset, know that i know where it is. Thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.