Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I know this is a mac forum, but i seem to get great answers for pc problems as well. plus im trying to hook up my powerbook to the internet, so it's for a good cause!

here's the problem so far...

I just bought a netgear wgr614 router. Everything is connected fine (all the lights show up and what not), but when i try to connect to the internet, it's a no-go. I am using sbc yahoo dsl if that has anything to do with it. has anyone hooked up this router? what steps did you take? it seems so simple, yet i am having such huge problems.

any advice?

thanks,

don

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Not just a clever handle :rolleyes:

Did you check to see if router has external IP?
Did you check to see if PC has valid internal IP?
Did you try to ping the router from the PC?
Do you need a username/pass for your DSL?
Do you need to configure PPoE?

Did you RTFM?

Just because the lights are on (and what not) doesn't mean that you are all set to go. You are going to have to be more specific as to how you tried to configure it. Include specifics like, my external IP is assigned to the router (XX.XX.XX.XX), my PC IP is coming up XX.XX.XX.XX, I have DHCP enabled,etc... More info will help us help you.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
nevermind, i got it! guess a correct password would have helped :)

now its on to connect the powerbook. dont worry ill post all the problems i probably will encounter with that since nothing ever goes smoothly for me. thanks for the reply king!

Don

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
if this is a wireless network..

them make sure that you have some type of encryption or security features for the network

do not use wep, its useless

try using wpa password protection and a mac address filter (both done though the interface of the router)

but... when a friend comes over and wants to connect to your internet... dont forget to add his mac address to the list...

then when this is done, you can hook up and external drive to one of the computers in the network (maybe the desktop) and you can share that drive and use it from any computer anywhere in the house... its a nice set up to have my 30 gig hard drive + my external 120 gig without any wires... very nice set up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.