Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
still in school
macrumors 6502

iTunes starting to take up too much space??

I have a Macbook Air with only 80gb of disk space. After installing different applications I'm really left with not much space left, so anything more is helpful. I have an iPod classic 80gb. After I add videos and music to my iTunes, I delete the actual files to save space on my laptop.

My question is, how can I go about saving space on my laptop from iTunes taking up so much space without deleting my media? Is it possible to run iTunes on my portable HDD?
still in school is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Not so much running iTunes on a portable hard drive, but having your media stored on a portable hard drive and having iTunes linked to it. Yes. You can do that.

I would recommend you go out and get yourself the biggest hard drive you can afford and store your media on it. Just my opinion.

And if you are a little paranoid about hard drive crashes. Get two of them and save your media to both. One as the actual iTunes library and one as a back up.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:19 AM   #3
still in school
macrumors 6502

What settings would I have to change in order for me to do that? Every time I drag and drop a media file into iTunes, it automatically makes a copy into it's own database but I have no idea where.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4
munkees
macrumors 65816

I would recommend also getting the largest external drive, but get 2 of them, one for content, the other to back it up (once lost a drive with all my itunes content on it, lucky I was able to salvage the data back, which was worth $1000's).

copy you itunes over to the new drive then in itunes preference:advance change the location to the new drive, and it is all good.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
What settings would I have to change in order for me to do that? Every time I drag and drop a media file into iTunes, it automatically makes a copy into it's own database but I have no idea where.
There are plenty of tutorials on transferring your iTunes library from one hard drive to another and then setting it up within iTunes to see the new location. Do a quick search here and you will find some also.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

A common mistake is to only copy the itunes music folder, make sure you copy the whole itunes folder with everything in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	45
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	184568  
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
duckmanjbr
macrumors newbie

If your going through the hassle of moving everything over to an external I'd say go w/ a wireless share. You're working off a MBA so I'm guessing that you have another computer around the house someplace. Make a share off of it and use that for the storage space needed. If you need to make it mobile attach the external drive to the computer as well and back everything up to the external for the times you need to be mobile out of wireless reach. Why start locking a laptop down to a desk w/ extra USB devices!

I run FreeNAS on a desktop machine running in RAID 5. I have an external 1TB also connected as backup for the times I want/need to go mobile. I'm a little extreme I know but any basic share will work the same way!

You can even go really crazy and do multiple iTunes DB's for the times you want to take just enough music someplace that will fit on the MBA. If you can think of a better mobile solution I'm all ears! I've been dealing w/ iTunes, 300+ gigs of music, 1000's of movies, and 5 family members all wanting to use the same share and be able to sync their iPods for 2 years! If there is a better way I'd love to find it.....
duckmanjbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:40 PM   #8
still in school
macrumors 6502

whoa whoa whoa. slow down there. I like the idea you've given me but I'm a total networking noob. The last networking thing I accomplished was connecting my PS3 to my HTPC I built and I thought that was the coolest ishh ever.

So right now, I have my iTunes with everything I want on my laptop. How would I move my database over to my PC?

Even then, how do I connect my laptop over to my PC?

Lastly, if other household members wanted to connect to my PC itunes, how can they sync their ipods to the PC through wifi? (I thought only one person can connect to a iTunes?)
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
duckmanjbr
macrumors newbie

It sounds like you have some googling ahead of you! Start w/ getting a wireless network setup. After you got that going look someplace like this for the iTunes sharing.
duckmanjbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store