Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I have not seen the license agreement for Logic 9 but the general rule with Apple's Pro applications is that you may install on a desktop and a laptop, provided that you are the owner and primary user of each of the computers and that both copies are not to be used simultaneously or over a network...oh yeah!

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Nope. Unless there is a family pack, you can only install one copy on one MacBook.

Is there a family pack for the new Logic Studio? If so, can someone please provide a link? I've looked on store.apple.com but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Is there a family pack for the new Logic Studio? If so, can someone please provide a link? I've looked on store.apple.com but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Duff-Man says...as far as I know there has never been a family pack of Logic Studio, and really, for what they already give you for that $499 when you compare with competing products it's a super deal even if you have to buy a copy for each user....oh yeah!

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
In reality - Yes

In legality - No

This is the case with all of Apple's Apps. You should buy a licence for every computer that you own.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
As far as I know, there's no family pack for Logic Studio.

I had the same question some months ago- installing Logic Studio in both my desktop and MacBook Pro... so I called Apple. According to them, you can install it in up to 2 computers, as long as one is a desktop, and the other one is a portable, both belonging to the same person, and without running Logic in both computers simultaneously.

So NO: you shouldn't install it in two portable computers... though I don't know if there's a way for them to check if one is indeed a desktop (MacPro, iMac or mini), and the other a portable (macbook, macbookpro).

But one question arises: why would you want to install it in two portable computers? do you use both for personal use? (maybe it's none of my business- I just thought it's odd)

bmh16

macrumors regular
May 5, 2008
South Wales, UK
I will be buying the new Logic Studio today. I will be using it on my current MacBook for now, however I am upgrading to MacBook Pro in a few months, what do i do then as i won't be using my MacBook then. Cheers.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
i doubt apple can check, look at all the users using iwork, aperture and other apple software. alot of them download a trail from apple's site n then they input the serial they find online. apple never finds out/catches anybody. so yes you can do it, but you really should buy an original copy from apple :) if it were a msft software, i d say u download a cracked copy, as out of all the msft products which i've used, the cracked versions work far better than the originals :p

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
I will be buying the new Logic Studio today. I will be using it on my current MacBook for now, however I am upgrading to MacBook Pro in a few months, what do i do then as i won't be using my MacBook then. Cheers.

Duff-Man says....simple. Remove if from the MacBook (as you should do with any software that did not come with the MacBook, if you are selling it) and install it on the MBP....oh yeah!

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
i doubt apple can check, look at all the users using iwork, aperture and other apple software. alot of them download a trail from apple's site n then they input the serial they find online.

I'm not really sure about this... I know Apple is very relaxed and trustful when it comes to consumer software (OS X, iLife, iWork)... but I've also heard that, when it comes to Apple's "big" professional software (Logic, Final Cut, etc), they DO check and follow similar anti-piracy guidelines and processes as Adobe and Microsoft do on theirs - perhaps not as stringent, but still- they do have them in place...

...apple never finds out/catches anybody. so yes you can do it, but you really should buy an original copy from apple :)

That may be so... (I'm no fanboy...) but anyways, IMO such good software is worth paying for, and Apple's trust is something to cherish and maintain. This trust helps Apple stay focused on better software development and value, instead of loading it with security measures and checking to try prevent it from being stolen... and those benefits do come back to us end users. I'd hate it if Apple became a paranoid developer - such as MS or Adobe - because of sw piracy.

cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.