Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:46 AM   #1
Danrose1977
macrumors regular

Airport express reviews

I'm probably being a complete doorknob, but does anybody know where I can find a review of Airport express... searching the web just gets me loads of info about high speed check in at heathrow airport, london!!!

It all sounds great, but I don't want to fly anywhere at the moment
Can anyone point me the right way?
Danrose1977 is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:24 AM   #2
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Its probably too early for reviews, the new unit is not going to be released until Mid July. It is possible Apple may do some demonstrations next week at the anticipated release of International iTunes music store.
James Craner is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:30 AM   #3
abc123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner
Its probably too early for reviews, the new unit is not going to be released until Mid July. It is possible Apple may do some demonstrations next week at the anticipated release of International iTunes music store.
sorry to sidetrack the thread but is it going to be truly international or do you mean england/canada?
abc123 is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Danrose1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner
Doorknob it is then....
Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:34 PM   #5
JOD8FY
macrumors 6502a

Wait, so AP Express isn't shipping until July??? (I live in the US) I didn't know this! Or am I a doorknob too?

JOD8FY
JOD8FY is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:01 PM   #6
iAlan
macrumors 65816

Talking Doornob is such a British term....

but I think I am one too, as I was at Bic Camera (a big electronic store chain in Tokyo) asking about APX today and the staff were not sure when it would be available, all I got was 'Sometime in Summer'. I know Japan can be slow to get Apple products after announcements and availability elsewhere (software in particular due to getting the documentation and support materials translated I guess) but there is really no excuse for hardware (production problems aside...still no iPod Mini's here...)...anyway can't wait to get my hands on one, don't know why, I am living in a little box in downtown Tokyo that is so small that if I fart in the living room you can smell it immediately in the bedroom, so with my harman/kardon speakers, my music is heard all over the apartment with no need to stream to an external sourse. I guess I can use APX for the internet or music on the balcony...or for my neighbours to be able to plug in and listen too!!

Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:05 PM   #7
LimeLite
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LimeLite
Check the online store, the AirPort Express isn't shipping until July, and no specified date yet, just some time in July, towards the middle.
LimeLite is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:38 PM   #8
Danrose1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLite
Check the online store, the AirPort Express isn't shipping until July, and no specified date yet, just some time in July, towards the middle.
Yeah, I just ordered one, I'll review it as soon as it arrives!
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:03 PM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Were you already aware of this one: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1894

It's not quite a full review, but its the most detailed thing I've seen so far.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Danrose1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Were you already aware of this one: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1894

It's not quite a full review, but its the most detailed thing I've seen so far.
From that article it looks like I am going to be a happy bunny... and yes, doorknob is quintisetially British... just like Gosh, goodness, and bo11ocks.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:32 PM   #11
DVDSP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrose1977
and yes, doorknob is quintisetially British... just like Gosh, goodness, and bo11ocks.
And "happy bunny".
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:11 PM   #12
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrose1977
From that article it looks like I am going to be a happy bunny... and yes, doorknob is quintisetially British... just like Gosh, goodness, and bo11ocks.
Bo11ocks is pretty exclusively british. I have the argue with the other two though. "Gosh" is very widely used in the US as a substitute for the Lords name, when not wanting to use it in vain. "gosh darnit".

"goodness" is also commonly used, especially by southerners when mixed with "gracious" as in "goodness gracious". Even Elvis used that that phrase, and he wasn't British afaik

Tyler
Earendil

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:11 PM   #13
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSP
And "happy bunny".
And "cheeky monkey"
Old Jun 13, 2004, 08:13 PM   #14
macmaniacttt
macrumors member

lol

--david
macmaniacttt is offline   0
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:22 PM   #15
yinyang
macrumors regular

swimmingly is another good english one...! but back to the bo11ocks...pi11ock is yet another old fashioned doorknob LOL!

back to the APE reviews... i think there are going to be a lot of reviews come mid july. let's hope that apple have got production up to speed worldwide for this one...!
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:04 AM   #16
adamjay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123
sorry to sidetrack the thread but is it going to be truly international or do you mean england/canada?
i think they meant iTunes Europe
which (as far as i know) is France, Germany, and the U.K. (in addition to, of course, the U.S.)

Since the definition of the word "International" is "Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations.", i would call it an International iTunes Music Store as well.
adamjay is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:47 AM   #17
Amani
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Amani
I do wish AE would have firewire connection. I want to WiFi my external hard drive, but I don't think there's a device out there for Mac that does that. I saw one for PC that does. My Netgear base station only has Ethernet ports.
My photoblog. iBook G3, PowerMac G5, OS X 2.8 and Panther. wireless connection. Interests: Final Cut Express, DVD Pro, Learning Garage Band, which means learning music for the first time. Mac user since 1991.
Amani is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 02:21 PM   #18
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani
I do wish AE would have firewire connection. I want to WiFi my external hard drive, but I don't think there's a device out there for Mac that does that. I saw one for PC that does. My Netgear base station only has Ethernet ports.
I don't think that is possible. AE can serve as a printer server, but not for sharing other devices over wireless. Imagine this: three powerbooks on the network all try to write to, or access a file on your "networked hard drive" at once - that would spell doom.
Grimace is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 02:35 PM   #19
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

They do make HD's with ethernet ports on them, so you can save stuff to the drive from multible computers. I have one and it works pretty well.
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:12 PM   #20
rideahyperLite
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to rideahyperLite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani
yeah that would be nice to share my hard drive with a bunch of computers wirelessly. the usb port isn't 2.0 right?
rideahyperLite is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 01:17 AM   #21
dav
macrumors 6502

Nope, its not USB 2.0
dav is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 07:07 AM   #22
westy
Banned

i asked this question in some other thread but i can't find where i posted it..anywas ill ask here and bookmark this site

if my printer also has a scanner to it (all in one), would i be able to scan images wirelessly? your knowledge is much appreciated!
westy is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 01:48 PM   #23
aptmunich
macrumors member

ipodlounge.com has a review of airport express...

Quote:
if my printer also has a scanner to it (all in one), would i be able to scan images wirelessly? your knowledge is much appreciated!
Why would you need that function? You have to put the material in the scanner anyway, so you might as well be sitting next to it?

basically the way i understand it is that AE supports apple's rendevouz feature, so if that supports scanning, AE should too..
aptmunich is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 05:02 PM   #24
westy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich
ipodlounge.com has a review of airport express...

Why would you need that function? You have to put the material in the scanner anyway, so you might as well be sitting next to it?

basically the way i understand it is that AE supports apple's rendevouz feature, so if that supports scanning, AE should too..
lol true, thanks for the info. kinda want it just cuz i have a laptop and dont want wires tangling around.
westy is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2004, 05:35 AM   #25
iNetwork
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iNetwork Send a message via AIM to iNetwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw
They do make HD's with ethernet ports on them, so you can save stuff to the drive from multible computers. I have one and it works pretty well.
They're called NAS or Network Attached Storage. You can do this with any computer connected to the network as well--ie set up a share, etc. Discussion on this can be found on apple's support website.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Review...odID-NSLU2.php

That looks like something fairly inexpensive that you can attach a USB 2.0 drive to.

I personally use my older computers and set them up as file and printer servers. You do have to learn something about your computer beyond the gui if you're going to do this though. I prefer Yellow Dog Linux or Debian Linux for the PC.
iNetwork is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews