Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnetto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Hi everyone

It's my parents' joint birthday in September and they have a Panasonic plasma 1080i set and no Internet (!) connection hence no wireless or wired network.

I would like to buy them an ATV, fill it with their music and some movies and photos from my collection when I visit and leave them to it to watch the locally stored content (I will get a 160gb) until the next time I visit when I can refresh it with my Mac.

So, given they don't have a network, questions are:

1) Will the MacBook and ATV talk to each other without a network, either wirelessly, or for speed, ethernet cable?

2) If yes, and I get their ATV filled up, will the ATV look for a network / display a nag screen if there isn't one?

3) Anything else I should consider?

I have looked at various products, but the Front Row interface is usable by my Mum and it plays nice with my iTunes library / Handbrake apple universal encodes etc., so I'm convinced ATV is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
So, given they don't have a network, questions are:

1) Will the MacBook and ATV talk to each other without a network, either wirelessly, or for speed, ethernet cable?
Omi says: No
2) If yes, and I get their ATV filled up, will the ATV look for a network / display a nag screen if there isn't one?
Omi says: Sometimes
Apple TV is pretty useless w/out internet...but it very simple. If you can get them connected to the internet and they don't already have a TV provider, they will love the apple tv for its simple on demand.

Answers in bold

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19)

I don't know about #1. I think you can plug an Ethernet cable directly from AppleTV to your MacBook without a router.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You cannot connect two devices over IP without a network. You should be able to use an ad hoc network though. A direct Ethernet connection will work for a wired network.
When you sync the ATV with iTunes, you either tell it to only read content of its own drive or off the iTunes library it is connected to. The former won't show any content that isn't on the drive and the latter requires a constant connection to the computer with the iTunes library
AppleTV doesn't work without an internet connection. Get a Mac Mini or another device which can read content off an external drive that you can put the content on. If you go with the Mac Mini, use Plex instead of Front Row to play any and all content you have.

barnetto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Thank You

Thanks for all the advice people, very welcome. I was going to create an ad-hoc network and store music, photos and video on the ATV itself so thanks for saving me from purchasing something which wouldn't have been suitable.

I will purchase a cheap media player instead.

Thanks again :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.