Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Hey everyone. I've had my XBOX 360 for about 2 and a half years now. about 6-8 months ago it stopped reading discs completely. no game would be read and errors would show 'disc is unreadable' with instructions to clean it.

i followed some directions within the last 2 months about clearing cache off the hard drive that may interfere with playing games (per Microsoft's instructions)

after that the console worked fine! however i have borrowed a few games and i have noticed with newer games, my console must 'warm up', before it will read the newer ones.

i.e:

i have to play skate. for 5-10 minutes for it to run Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, or Assassin's Creed.

it's kind of weird. usually things work.. or they don't any thoughts from the MR community?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Depending on date of purchase you will have a three year warrenty. Contact Microsoft and find out. If u do ship it back.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Sounds like your 360 is going. Mine stopped reading Forza 2, and Halo 3 would take FOREVER to read. This was about 3 to 4 weeks before I got the infamous red ring of death. Called Microsoft and they had me ship in my 360. It took about 15 days, but I got it back and it works fine, all under warranty. And mine was 2 1/2 years old at the time. Give Microsoft a call (good luck) and see what they'll do. They're going to ask you for the serial number on the 360, so I would have access to the 360 for the call.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
man.. you guys are making me nervous.. haha

I'm going to call and 'dispute' how old my XBOX is and ask about the repair.

i checked online and says it is not under warranty. might as well try. if they say i have to pay. i might as well wait for it to stop working all together and get it repaired for 99$.

if it ain't broke...

has anyone else had 'disc read' issues?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
update:

microsoft is mailing me (for free i might add) a 'backwards compatibility disc' i assume it has something to do with either installing software that will help the 360 read older games (and change how the DVD drive functions)

or it will essentially flash the firmware of the drive (which is what i'm hoping for)

i'll post again when i get the disc and find the results. just figured it might be helpful for the many people who run into 360 problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.