Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Just found this page at Apple. I saw FCS in the store and got excited to see the tech specs. Then I found the below. This means Macs will support Blu-Ray video discs natively in the near future.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 4,917

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I have heard that this only will burn unencrypted blu-ray disks. In other words, it won't play in a blu-ray player. I don't think Apple will offer any blu-ray option until their pro suites can actually create blu-ray disks that are playable in players.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
This doesn't mean they'll be standard equipment. It could just be for those who buy one to add on to their machine. And even when they do begin including them on Macs, they'll be on the high-end machines first and trickle down through a few product cycles to the low-end machines.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I'm not sure I'm following the logic as to how a Blu-Ray burner necessary for burning Blu-Ray disks means that Macs will support Blue-Ray natively.

I'm sure at some point Macs will support Blu-Ray, but I'm just not seeing the connection with this. Could you elaborate?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I have heard that this only will burn unencrypted blu-ray disks. In other words, it won't play in a blu-ray player. I don't think Apple will offer any blu-ray option until their pro suites can actually create blu-ray disks that are playable in players.

They'd have to pay money for Blu-Ray, so you may as well make it play BD movies.

This doesn't mean they'll be standard equipment. It could just be for those who buy one to add on to their machine. And even when they do begin including them on Macs, they'll be on the high-end machines first and trickle down through a few product cycles to the low-end machines.

That's what happens. People add them to their own machines, then they're an option on the high-end stuff, then standard on high-end, the mid gets it as an option. Like the SuperDrive.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic as to how a Blu-Ray burner necessary for burning Blu-Ray disks means that Macs will support Blue-Ray natively.

I'm sure at some point Macs will support Blu-Ray, but I'm just not seeing the connection with this. Could you elaborate?

This shows Macs will have Blu-Ray, by the next refresh, I think, because Apple is advertising it rather largely. AFAIK, there was no mention of Blu-Ray support on any Apple product prior to this.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
FC has to support blu-ray. it would be a joke if a professional video editing app didn't. I bet most people also run FC on a Mac Pro.

doesn't mean that next refresh of the iMac will have a Blu-Ray. except for the MacMini if you have it connected to a TV, what would be the point?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Also found this:

FC has to support blu-ray. it would be a joke if a professional video editing app didn't. I bet most people also run FC on a Mac Pro.

doesn't mean that next refresh of the iMac will have a Blu-Ray. except for the MacMini if you have it connected to a TV, what would be the point?

I know that the iMac won't have it immediately, but there's no doubt the Mac Pro will get Blu-Ray as an option, at least, in the near future.

Did the Mac Pro already have an 18x SuperDrive?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 4,865

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Also found this:

I know that the iMac won't have it immediately, but there's no doubt the Mac Pro will get Blu-Ray as an option, at least, in the near future.

Did the Mac Pro already have an 18x SuperDrive?

3rd party BR player? There's a lot of licensing contracts and fees if Apple wants to add drives. Many people uses external USB BR player or normal in Mac Pro so they wanted to add it. We don't know before Apple does add them

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
3rd party BR player? There's a lot of licensing contracts and fees if Apple wants to add drives. Many people uses external USB BR player or normal in Mac Pro so they wanted to add it. We don't know before Apple does add them

I don't think many people use an external ODD for anything. If you want to add a Blu-Ray drive to a Mac Pro, chances are you'll have to modify the tray.

I looks like Apple is going to pay those fees. They're on the Blu-Ray board of directors (or whatever), and there is native Blu-Ray support in FCS. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to learn QT in SL supports Blu-Ray. But on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10293675-37.html

Compressor 3.5 comes with a new Job Action features that gives you the ability to have Compressor open a file, publish it to the Web, or send it to your iTunes library. You can also use job actions to burn a Blu-ray disc or a DVD, or trigger Automator workflows.

So is it the application that will allow the burning of Blu-ray disks or will you still need to have a Blu-ray burner?

I'd love to see it happen, but I guess I'm just a little pessimistic since they haven't done it yet.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10293675-37.html

So is it the application that will allow the burning of Blu-ray disks or will you still need to have a Blu-ray burner?

I'd love to see it happen, but I guess I'm just a little pessimistic since they haven't done it yet.

I can burn Blu-Rays with my SuperDrive? Really? You obviously need a BD burner and an application that supports it.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing BD video support in SL. The icons for BD are already in Leopard.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Can someone please explain what the big deal is about Blueray. I've seen it both in stores, and in other people's home theater systems, and I just don't see how it looks any better.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Can someone please explain what the big deal is about Blueray. I've seen it both in stores, and in other people's home theater systems, and I just don't see how it looks any better.

It's 1080p. If you display a SD (480i) image on a 1080p TV, it looks like crap.

And there is a noticeable difference.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
**There WILL be Blood if you're wrong!**

Didn't Apple say a while ago that the drives are too big for them to use in the uMBPs? I don't know, I thought I remembered that. I digress if I'm wrong.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
**There WILL be Blood if you're wrong!**

Didn't Apple say a while ago that the drives are too big for them to use in the uMBPs? I don't know, I thought I remembered that. I digress if I'm wrong.

I don't think so. We're thinking more that they'll be an option in the Mac Pro first.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
It's 1080p. If you display a SD (480i) image on a 1080p TV, it looks like crap.

And there is a noticeable difference.

There was a nice quality jump from VHS to DVD, but I have yet to see a situation where the HD or Blueray or what ever they come up with next makes a difference. Certainly not at the price point for Blueray.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
There was a nice quality jump from VHS to DVD, but I have yet to see a situation where the HD or Blueray or what ever they come up with next makes a difference. Certainly not at the price point for Blueray.

I can assure you there is a massive difference when you watch it on a 1080p TV.

For instance, on our 52'' Sony, 480i (SD) looks like crap, because the TV is 1080p.

When you watch a Blu-Ray, however, there is a massively ultra huge difference.

You need at least a 1080p 40'', IMO, to see a difference.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just found this page at Apple. I saw FCS in the store and got excited to see the tech specs. Then I found the below. This means Macs will support Blu-Ray video discs natively in the near future.

There is a good chance but stating things like this as fact is rather annoying. You know nada buddy. Sure, FCS is offering BR burning but that doesn't mean BR will be an option for the next macs.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
There is a good chance but stating things like this as fact is rather annoying.

Tell that to Tallest Skil.

You know nada buddy. Sure, FCS is offering BR burning but that doesn't mean BR will be an option for the next macs.

I know Apple is on the BR board of directors. I know this version of FCS supports BD burning. I wouldn't be surprised to see native (protected) BD playback in SL.

Let me elaborate. Protected BD playback is another story.

Read the above. Apple is on the BR board of directors. They should be using it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.