Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoncoZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
tv land
I have a lot of tv shows & movies on my drobo that I have been watching on my 22" external monitor that is in the same room as my 40" hdtv.

Is there any way to stream or run some type of cord to any gadgets I have to get picture and sound to play on the tv.

I have a PS3 and xbox 360 if that helps?
Or is there another type of electronic I need to buy?

I believe appleTV only plays media that is on itunes and I would like to avoid converting the files. (Almost all are various forms of .avi; some anime is .mkv).

Is there any other info I didn't provide that would be helpful?

Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can buy the ATV and hack it to run most of what you want to do. There is no real way to hook a drobo up to a TV and make it play. You need some sort of OS really.

Noonzio

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
If the PS3 and the MBP are on the same network I would install Nullriver Medialink on my MBP and then stream from the MBP to the PS3. Medialink isn't free but its only 20 dollars. The PS3 will not play MKV's though so you will need to convert them to another file format (using something like mkv2vob through a Windows partition).

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
You need a media centre of some kind to control it all. I use a mac mini to get it all working. I stream to various audio connections in the house and to the two tvs. I find the apple TV is the best solution for audio and an airport for streaming music to major audio stations.

A really great system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.