Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm sure of it, TOMTOM will be the clear winner over all from the two. Navigon vs TOMTOM!!

But, the but in my title imo only represents the fact Navigon's mapping system is stored on your device. You never have to pay additoinal charges if you're in an opposing country. For you people located in the States who don't travel to Canada it might not be huge for you. I'm from Toronto and often travel to the States...I love your country.

I will not say I know 100 percent, but I think since TOMTOM will have, not sure the exact name of the feature, but I believe it's something like, up to date routes, or maybe intelligent routes/mapping...where it sends road work and the like to your iPhone. So I don't think it's going to be stored in your memory like Navigon is.

Anyhow what do you all think, after 6 mths of sales who will be in the lead, profit wise?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Navigon will also have a traffic and road works system implemented later this summer.

And it is likely tomtom will store all maps on the iPhone, as they do on all other mobile devices

Tomtom will probably be the 'winner' in terms of profit as it is a bigger name, but this by no means shows that it is any better than the navigon app. And remember, navigon have a month lead at the moment (in europe etc) and tomtom is still a way off

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I think TomTom said that the maps will be stored on the phone itself, with stuff like THC and TMC streamed in when available, although, that TMC is channelled accross radio waves in the UK iirc.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I will not say I know 100 percent, but I think since TOMTOM will have, not sure the exact name of the feature, but I believe it's something like, up to date routes, or maybe intelligent routes/mapping...where it sends road work and the like to your iPhone. So I don't think it's going to be stored in your memory like Navigon is.

There are two things TomTom has. According to the recent LA Times article which had quotes from the TomTom vice-president, IQRoutes will be in the iPhone version. IQRoutes aggregates data about actual driving speeds and presents "IQ" routing options based on historical data.

On the other hand, MapShare may not be in the iPhone version. The TomTom VP was quoted as not knowing if they were going to include that. I am hoping for MapShare and it would make huge sense for an iPhone and it's connected goodness. MapShare allows you to point out closed roads, construction, changes in road names and POI's, and other issues. With a traditional TomTom GPS you have to sync the GPS to them via your computer. Most people wouldn't likely bother pulling it out of the car, connecting it to the computer and using their software to sync it. With millions of iPhones they could have instantaneous updating. It would be a far more timely and accurate way of providing data. I've been waiting for this feature and then the TomTom VP had to pull the 'don't know if it will be included.' :(

With a traditional TomTom both the MapShare and IQRoutes data for your use gets processed through on the computer syncing. The IQRoutes probably only gets quarterly historical traffic updates much like the Dash Express did. That would be wrapped into their subscription map upgrade model. The MapShare has to be processed on the fly in syncing processes. Unless it's going to be tied strictly to iTunes syncing or WiFi it's going to have to use cell data.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I see TomTom as the clear winner only because they have the dock windshield mount which makes it a useful turn-by-turn GPS

Not necessarily... I use the Griffin WindowSeat + the Griffin PowerJolt alongside the G-Map U.S. West TBT navigation app.

This combination works wonderfully well and I didn't spend a whole lot on it. Plus I don't need the external speaker of the Tom Tom dock, TBT voice is annoying.... my $0.02...

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Not necessarily... I use the Griffin WindowSeat + the Griffin PowerJolt alongside the G-Map U.S. West TBT navigation app.

This combination works wonderfully well and I didn't spend a whole lot on it. Plus I don't need the external speaker of the Tom Tom dock, TBT voice is annoying.... my $0.02...
I agree.. i have a £5 mount and an aux input in my car, and it works perfectly. Navigon is accurate to within a metre!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought Navigon yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. I was using a three year old Nuvi. There are some things I miss about the Nuvi, but I love the lane assist and the fact that Navigon knows the speed limits and provides a warning when you exceed it by a pre-determined amount.

Navigon picks up the GPS signal typically in under 5 seconds. I'm more than happy so far, and I'm looking forward to future updates. I'm sure they know what it takes to stay competitive and I doubt they'll let any competitors just blow them out of the water with feature set.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I cant wait for TomTom... I refuse to buy Navigon before TomTom's release. WAIT...WAIT..WAIT people

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
I cant wait for TomTom... I refuse to buy Navigon before TomTom's release. WAIT...WAIT..WAIT people
why? why do people seem to think only tomtom know how to make a sat nav?

as stockcerts says, I'm sure they know what it takes to stay competitive and I doubt they'll let any competitors just blow them out of the water with feature set.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I bought Navigon yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. I was using a three year old Nuvi. There are some things I miss about the Nuvi, but I love the lane assist

I have a Navigon hardware GPS and this developed into one of its strongest features. It was horrible a few years ago but they got on it and I haven't seen another that matches it. It really shines when you have complex exits followed immediately by another exit. You'll get the lane assist with a turn indication stacked on top of that.

and the fact that Navigon knows the speed limits and provides a warning when you exceed it by a pre-determined amount.

Don't rely on this at all. Their speed database is horribly flawed. On Interstates you'll run into 65mph sections that it thinks are 55. So, while you're flying along at 70 it thinks you're 15mph over speed. The only way to counter this is to set the threshold higher but then you won't get warnings when you really need them for legitimate speeds. On regular roads you'll find errors as great as 45mph roads being marked as 25mph. Over time you'll find it will give you bad speed warnings so often you'll end up turning it off because it keeps yelling at you every minute that you're over speed when you're not. This is probably the second worst function of the GPS.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a Navigon hardware GPS and this developed into one of its strongest features. It was horrible a few years ago but they got on it and I haven't seen another that matches it. It really shines when you have complex exits followed immediately by another exit. You'll get the lane assist with a turn indication stacked on top of that.

Don't rely on this at all. Their speed database is horribly flawed. On Interstates you'll run into 65mph sections that it thinks are 55. So, while you're flying along at 70 it thinks you're 15mph over speed. The only way to counter this is to set the threshold higher but then you won't get warnings when you really need them for legitimate speeds. On regular roads you'll find errors as great as 45mph roads being marked as 25mph. Over time you'll find it will give you bad speed warnings so often you'll end up turning it off because it keeps yelling at you every minute that you're over speed when you're not. This is probably the second worst function of the GPS.

My Garmin Nuvi 765 has speed limits and it's spot on. I just completed a long road trip with it, and when I passed a speed limit sign, going from say a 70 to a 65 mph zone, the Garmin updated the screen within maybe 10 feet of me passing the speed limit sign. I'm not sure about non-interstate accuracy though, normally I don't pay attention to it as I just move with the flow of traffic on surface streets. But still, I wouldn't rely on it, as it doesn't know about temporary reductions for construction zones and whatnot, so it's still a good idea to pay attention. It's a nice reference, but I don't think "Officer, my GPS said the speed limit was 75 so that's why I was going that fast in the one lane construction zone back there" is going to get you out of a ticket

Lane Assist on my Nuvi was helpful as well, especially when I was in Toronto where there are many lanes and many complicated interchanges. I wish they'd cover more of the country with lane assist though, many of the areas I was driving through I didn't have lane assist; although when you're on an interstate in the middle of nowhere and need to change to a different interstate, it's usually 2 lanes each direction so you've got a 50% chance of being right, it does tell you whether the exit is on the left or right so that's usually all you need to know to be in the correct lane.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I can't believe all the negative posts about Navigon. The lane assist is awesome, as some else stated..it's great for those tricky interchanges. Not only does it show you a picture of the exit lanes, it shows you the freeway signs exactly how they appear. I don't think it's flawed, and I haven't seen a single instance of the speed indicators being wrong.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL

I'm a believer in patience, but you can always be waiting for the next faster computer, next release of software, and in the mean time you do with out. I'm very happy with my purchase! A few years ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi and steered away from Tom Tom as everyone I know who had one wasn't happy with it. I know some that returned them after a very short time.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm a believer in patience, but you can always be waiting for the next faster computer, next release of software, and in the mean time you do with out. I'm very happy with my purchase! A few years ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi and steered away from Tom Tom as everyone I know who had one wasn't happy with it. I know some that returned them after a very short time.

You'll be waiting forever.... and ever.... anand ever....and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever.... and ever....

you get the picture now I hope.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I can't believe all the negative posts about Navigon. The lane assist is awesome, as some else stated..it's great for those tricky interchanges. Not only does it show you a picture of the exit lanes, it shows you the freeway signs exactly how they appear. I don't think it's flawed, and I haven't seen a single instance of the speed indicators being wrong.

You've got your terminology wrong. The "picture" view for Navigon with the arrows showing you the exiting route is called "Reality View." That's not Lane Assist. Lane Assist is a small "icon" in the corner that shows the number of lanes and then orange stripes the ones you can be in to exit properly. For instance, one of the more complicated I've seen displayed has four lanes expanding into six lanes with the second and third lanes striped in orange.

Lane assist is shown below on the right edge. The more complicated version I've seen in real life had two additional lanes as compared to the picture:

navigon_2000s.jpg

This is Reality View:

navigon_reality.jpg

As far as speed indicators being wrong, try driving in northeast Ohio. Start at the PA border and drive west on the roads. Within 30 minutes you'll be yelling at the GPS to shut up.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Another couple of reasons why I think I'll wait for tomtom are the fact it has the mount...which provides a great place to view the device, instead of in your lap. Charges your iPhone, gives speaker phone...which is huge. According to tomtom it will increase your gps antenna.

My next question for you all would be.....

How much better will tomtom's mount make the gps antenna on the iPhone, compared to a naked approch from Navigon??

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
i have navigon, i dont trust tomtom as they are trying to push hardware sale with there software to boost signal, Ive never had a gps signal problem, so are they saying there software isnt good? haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.