Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiGeuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
i got this thing all screwed up and am going to wipe it clean here i a few minutes and am wondering if i should put two partions on it....ti 667 30/512?? gonna run 9 in the classic environment after i get everything set up in 9 i'll install 10. 2 partions, how big??? hurry, please! last b/u disc allmost Soup!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
what do you use it for?

I would advise you use a dedicated swap partition and if you work with larg grapics or Video files, you may want to make a nother partiton for a scratch disk so help cut down on disk fragmentation. I have 2 drives in my Quicksliver ( I realise that its not possible for your Ti)

Drive 0: OSX/OS9
Drive 2:

/swap # dedicatied swap partiton
/emt # emergency OS X disk (bootable)
/projects # large file storage and scratch disk

you only have one drive so you wont see any proformance by reading from one drive and writing to the other drive at the same time, but it will cut down on disk fragmentation. I can help you with the swap partiton if you want to do it (so could many people here)

-evildead

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
what kind of performance increase are you seeing with a dedicated swap partition?? how big is the partition?? this is somewhat interesting, since it is unix and all.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Don't bother with partitions. OS 9 and X run just fine on the same partition.:)

I second that motion... I have never had ANY issues running both OS X and 9 from the same drive and partition. The seperate partitions were needed (questionable, since I successfully installed the PB on the same partition as OS 9) back in the public beta days. Since OS X went non-beta, it is NOT needed at all.

There are still people that swear by it, but I have heard more people swearing because of it. :eek: :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I've tried swap partitions and I haven't really seen much improvement in performance.

A backup partition is a good idea, if you don't have anywhere else to back things up to.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
out of curiosity, how do you set up a partition/drive as a swap drive?

i just reformatted so i wno't be doing this any time soon... but once you create the partition, what then?

word

3 pounds and only a million more to go.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
cold, man...real cold...

You really shouldn't be surprised you know... I am a cruel, heartless bastard after all... :D And I LIKE IT!!! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by AlphaTech
You really shouldn't be surprised you know... I am a cruel, heartless bastard after all... :D And I LIKE IT!!! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

could be wrong, but i think he was talking to me...

given my 3 pounds a million more to go jab.

row-dog. i is not one to talk. thanks for the link. will check it

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I like to keep 9 and X on their own partition. Not because there's any major performance boost, but simply because that way i don't have to bother remember to change the start-up disk when rebooting, and can just hold down the alt key. Lazy of me, i know, but....each to their own.

Ha ha! Rower's getting all sensitive about his weight :p

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
out of curiosity, how do you set up a partition/drive as a swap drive?

take a look here
http://homepage.mac.com/andymoraitis
OSX Swap Information and More
If you can't find it there i have all the documentation in PDF form.

It is most beneficial if you have two drives, but does help with a partition - just keeps things from being fragmented. I also keep a small boot system on the swap partition so I can do maintenance on the main partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.