Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Dear New Yorkers,
I have a wedding to go to in NJ on Sept 18, but am planning on going into NYC on the 17th. Unfortunately, I probably won't be getting into the city until mid afternoon. Won't have a lot of time to do much other than get ready for dinner and spend some time after dinner at a nice watering hole (not really interested in the night club scene) and a stroll around Times Square.

I was planning on parking my car somewhere in NJ (I am driving in from OH) and taking the train into the city. Staying in Times Square and taking the wife to either The Palm or Peter Luger's. It was also highly recommended that I go to McSorley's.

So, the question I have is, The Palm or Peter Luger's? Or is there someplace better, more memorable?

Any suggestions on where to park in NJ that makes it easy to catch the train into NYC? I figured it would be a PITA to drive into the city and park in the city.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I have never been to NYC and even though my wife grew up in NJ, she only lived there until she was about 12 so not much experience in the city.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Dear New Yorkers,
I have a wedding to go to in NJ on Sept 18, but am planning on going into NYC on the 17th. Unfortunately, I probably won't be getting into the city until mid afternoon. Won't have a lot of time to do much other than get ready for dinner and spend some time after dinner at a nice watering hole (not really interested in the night club scene) and a stroll around Times Square.

I was planning on parking my car somewhere in NJ (I am driving in from OH) and taking the train into the city. Staying in Times Square and taking the wife to either The Palm or Peter Luger's. It was also highly recommended that I go to McSorley's.

So, the question I have is, The Palm or Peter Luger's? Or is there someplace better, more memorable?

Any suggestions on where to park in NJ that makes it easy to catch the train into NYC? I figured it would be a PITA to drive into the city and park in the city.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I have never been to NYC and even though my wife grew up in NJ, she only lived there until she was about 12 so not much experience in the city.

Don't know about where to park in NJ but you will certainly be paying top dollar for a hotel around Times Square or around 59th street. Four Seasons is like $ 650 a night, but I know the internet is littered with discounts for it.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I can use points and cash and get a room at the times square Westin for as little as $90. Cheapest "advertised" price on SPG's website is $259 a night.

In relative terms, that is a downright steal for NYC.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Luger's is good if you are in the mood for steak.

My personal favorite in Manhattan is Gordon Ramsey at the London. Make sure you call ahead to make reservations and make sure its for restaurant Gordon Ramsey and not Maze (still Gordon Ramsey at the London, but the dressed down and less elegant of the two).

I've been there three times and have always had unbelievable times.

If you want a memorable night, hit up Crif's Dogs (East Village). Trust me...;)

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not from NJ but just rode the train into NYC from NJ on 3 different occasions last week and it's not bad at all. Not sure what part of NJ you're in but you can grab the NJ Transit trains into Penn Station from all over NJ (I came from the New Brunswick station, through Newark, Secaucus, etc.) at all hours of the day. It's pretty easy and pretty quick.

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I can use points and cash and get a room at the times square Westin for as little as $90. Cheapest "advertised" price on SPG's website is $259 a night.

In relative terms, that is a downright steal for NYC.

I agree. That is pretty cheap for the Times Square area. I say go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.