Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
What is wrong with my itunes?? It just keeps rebuffering every few seconds. Even on the lowest kbps.
Cindy

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I assume your playing off of a shared library or internet radio station. Usually the problem when playing off of one of these sites is your connection is not fast enough. It has nothing to do with iTunes really.

BEN

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Cindy said:
What is wrong with my itunes?? It just keeps rebuffering every few seconds. Even on the lowest kbps.
Cindy

Yea, I had the same problem when I was still on a phone line, I could never listen to the news :( .

You could fix that problem by getting cable or DSL. :)

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Well, that makes sense. I do have slow dial up. So, is there another way I can use the itunes? And yes, I'm just using whatever stations came with the itunes -- internet ones. Or do I just need a faster service?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Well, I have 28.8Kbps...and, if it helps your analogy skills: You can stream a song to iTunes without having it rebuffer too much it as long as the bitrate of the song is less than your connection speed. In a theoretical world, that means that if you have a 24Kbps connection, and you connect to a station that streams at 24Kbps (the same as your connection speed), then you'll only need to buffer the first few seconds and never rebuffer.

Unfortunately, to listen to 128Kbps (example) streams w/o rebuffering, you need something faster then dial-up. There are other radio stations you can add to iTunes, but you need to do some searching on the Internet for them.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
King Cobra said:
Well, I have 28.8Kbps...and, if it helps your analogy skills: You can stream a song to iTunes without having it rebuffer too much it as long as the bitrate of the song is less than your connection speed. In a theoretical world, that means that if you have a 24Kbps connection, and you connect to a station that streams at 24Kbps (the same as your connection speed), then you'll only need to buffer the first few seconds and never rebuffer.

Unfortunately, to listen to 128Kbps (example) streams w/o rebuffering, you need something faster then dial-up. There are other radio stations you can add to iTunes, but you need to do some searching on the Internet for them.

I'm running on 24Kbps -- and I've tried using 16 and 24Kbps stations. ummm... but, I've always just quit the program when it starts to rebuffer because it's so anoying. Maybe I'll just leave it for a few and see if it stops.
I've been wanting to check into something other than dial up but, I just haven't done it.

BaDBoY

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
California
yea, you definately should look into something else than dial-up. if you do lots of surfing the net or downloading, it will be a benefit to you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.