Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_geek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
England
Quick question - am about to purchase a new PB (15.2, 1.5 Ghz) and want to buy a bluetooth mouse. I need more than the one button Apple one, but all the third party ones I have looked at (Microsoft, Logitech) state they are not mac compatible.

What I want is to be able to use the Logitech MX900 (http://www.logitech.co.uk/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=646,CONTENTID=7110) ideally with the Powerbook without having to plug in the Logitech USB bluetooth hub, i.e. use the inbuilt Bluetooth so I only have to carry around the laptop and the mouse.

Has anyone made this work?

Would be very grateful for the answer and if anyone has also used the Logitech mouse in conjunction with the Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I also plan to buy.

TIA

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would say if you don't want to get messy with bluetooth, go with a usb retractable, http://www.kensington.com/html/1211.html. I have this one and it doesn't take up to much space, and usb retracts back into the mouse for storage.

You could just buy it at any best buy, if it doesn't work correctly, which I believe it should even though it says it isn't mac compatable, you can return it. Bluetooth is a standard that all the mouses use, and macs pick up on the extra buttons like when a normal mouse gets pluged in, it just works.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
The "Not Mac compatible" is a CYA thing.

I've been using the MS Intellimouse Bluetooth with my powerbook for 1/2 year now with nary a problem. It works very well with the internal bluetooth module.

The only catch is buttons 4 & 5 (forward and back) only work with Expose in OSX, which is no problem because that's what I wanted them for anyway :D The two main buttons and scroll wheel work as expected.

All 5 buttons are mappable in games (e.g. Quake 3 and RTCW) to any function.

There are lots of threads here discussing bluetooth mouse compatibility, a search would be a great idea.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Were you aware of this:

http://www.macmice.com/faq.html

Their aluminum PB style mouse looks like it would go nicely with a PB. Don't know if they're on schedule to hit that July timing for the BT version, and don't know if you can wait, but I kinda wish this had been available when I got my Apple BT mouse. Of course I never use it, and not because it lacks multiple buttons but because I never sit at a desk with my iBook....

mac_geek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
England
May wait until July for the macmice BT version - an off-switch would certainly help.

Used a 17 inch PB today - have changed my mind about the 15.2 - the 17 inch rocks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mac_geek said:
May wait until July for the macmice BT version - an off-switch would certainly help.

Used a 17 inch PB today - have changed my mind about the 15.2 - the 17 inch rocks!

Don't all BT mice have an on/off switch? On the apple one, the cover/lid for the light sensor on the bottom is the switch. When you cover the sensor, the mouse is off.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I have the Kensington retractable. Its pretty sweet.

I too want a decent multiple button BT Mouse that fully functions with OSX...and has an off switch.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
michaelrjohnson said:
I know you made your choice, but for the good of the thread, there is another "mac" BT mouse available. It is sold by MacAlly.[/URL]

Actually that one looks like it would match a Al PB pretty well too. Does it in real life? :)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I've got the Logitech MX900 as well. I had to buy a keyboard to get it, but I got it. It works great. The "docking station" is only plugged into the wall and used only for charging (and it's awkward looking). The keyboard lives underneath the futon and is rarely used.

All the mouse buttons are recognizable and assignable to Exposé functions, and the mousewheel scrolls everything. Pressing the mousewheel in Safari opens a new Tab. All the normal keyboard functions work, with the addition of the volume, power and mute keys. The mousewheel also works well. The Apple and Option buttons are switched, which is annoying. Apple's bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard pref panes do not recognize these devices, although the Bluetooth panel does, once it's been paired.

The MX900 mouse has no "Off" switch. I have to carry around electrical tape to cover the eye if I ever intend to put the mouse in my pocket or a bag, or else by the time I get where I'm going, the batteries are half dead.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mainstreetmark said:
The MX900 mouse has no "Off" switch. I have to carry around electrical tape to cover the eye if I ever intend to put the mouse in my pocket or a bag, or else by the time I get where I'm going, the batteries are half dead.

I could see this being irritating. The sensor's not protected, and like you say, it'll power itself down quickly. Not to mention blind strangers when you pull it in/out of your bag. ;)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have a Logitech MX 900 that I am selling cheap - if anyone wants it please PM me. It has only been used for a few hours and comes with all original packaging, inserts, etc. I thought I'd get more use of it but I'm on the road all the time and don't really have use for it.

If nobody wants it I'll sell it on ebay later this week.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
aricher said:
I have a Logitech MX 900 that I am selling cheap - if anyone wants it please PM me. It has only been used for a few hours and comes with all original packaging, inserts, etc. I thought I'd get more use of it but I'm on the road all the time and don't really have use for it.

If nobody wants it I'll sell it on ebay later this week.

Define "Cheap"

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
themadchemist said:
yeah, that looks gooood.
To bad that site is owned by Jack Cambell (notorious rip-off artist and scammer. Not to mention someone who continually lies about rumors/etc.). I know I'd never get anything from him.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bertagert said:
To bad that site is owned by Jack Cambell (notorious rip-off artist and scammer. Not to mention someone who continually lies about rumors/etc.). I know I'd never get anything from him.

Which site? Macmice? Tell more, tell more. :eek: Are they not reputable? Or did you just have a bad experience with them?

Of course the biggest barrier to ever using my BT mouse is that I still never sit at a desk...hmmm...maybe I should just sell the stupid thing. :(

papolo

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2003
Pacific Ocean
mainstreetmark said:
The Apple and Option buttons are switched, which is annoying.

Hello,

Do you really mean that the Option button works on the left mouse button???

It sounds really annoying as you say... but no body esles complains about it

Is that really true or is just happening to mainstreetmark??

I really want to purchase the MX900. The rechargeable feature is awesome

By the way: any suggestions about BT mice rechargeable working on mac os X?

Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.