Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
RiceRacerDX
macrumors 6502

Screen won't light up

I dunno if this has been addressed already, but this started happening much more frequently lately. My iPhone is password protected so when I go to unlock it, the screen's backlight won't turn on. However, the screen itself will be on, because you can see it asking for the password. This resolves once I type in my password. I didn't mind at first, but I went to the movies the other night and went to check what time it was but the screen wouldn't light up...very annoying.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution to fix it. I can't replicate it as it happens spontaneously and not all the time. It has to be a software issue but I don't want to restore if I don't have it.

Btw, I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.0.
RiceRacerDX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:17 PM   #2
GAdawg
macrumors member

Sometimes my phone does that. I think it just takes a little bit to wake up and sense that the screen needs to be brighter. I have a 3gs, but used to have the original iphone and it never happened with that one. Hopefully its just a simple bug that will be fixed in 3.1
GAdawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceRacerDX View Post
I dunno if this has been addressed already, but this started happening much more frequently lately. My iPhone is password protected so when I go to unlock it, the screen's backlight won't turn on. However, the screen itself will be on, because you can see it asking for the password. This resolves once I type in my password. I didn't mind at first, but I went to the movies the other night and went to check what time it was but the screen wouldn't light up...very annoying.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution to fix it. I can't replicate it as it happens spontaneously and not all the time. It has to be a software issue but I don't want to restore if I don't have it.

Btw, I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.0.
My first iPhone 3GS backlight went completely out and I had to return it.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
clborden
macrumors regular

Mine does the same thing. However, it won't light up until I touch the scrub bar in the Brightness option. I'm assuming/hoping it's a software issue also. Is this happening with anyone else?
clborden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clborden View Post
Mine does the same thing. However, it won't light up until I touch the scrub bar in the Brightness option. I'm assuming/hoping it's a software issue also. Is this happening with anyone else?
Mine still wouldn't light up after a fresh restore. It was completely dead.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:27 PM   #6
alansaysstop
macrumors regular

i had to turn off my autobrightness on my 3GS. it would be fine when unlocking it, but when it got to the springboard, it would go extremely dark. probably a bug, but rather annoying.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone