Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:43 PM   #1
hrv888
macrumors regular

Jailbroken or factory unlocked

how would you know If the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked? Can jailbroken phones be updated through iTunes? Do I have to jailbreak it everytime an update on firmware is done?
hrv888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
u49aa2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrv888 View Post
how would you know If the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked? Can jailbroken phones be updated through iTunes? Do I have to jailbreak it everytime an update on firmware is done?
1) Jail break is not the same as unlocking. I guess you mean software unlocking vs. factory unlocking. To the check, connect the iphone to itune and make sure the automatic update is on. If the phone is software unlocked (with jail break) it will restore and relock again. However, if it was factory unlock it won't. Also software unlocked phone will normally have installer and cydia app icon (though people can hide them)

2) with software unlocking and jail breaking, yes you will need to unlock and jail break after each update (that's if you want the update)

3) with factory unlocked phone you will have the peace of mind of using any sim you want and updating whenever you want without the phone being locked ever.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
benflick
macrumors 68020

Quote:
1. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two completely different things. If the phone is Jailbroken, you will most likely see a brown icon called "Cydia". Cydia is the program that lets you install all of the jailbroken features.
2. If jailbroken phones are updated through iTunes, the jailbreak is lost.
3. Yes, however, jailbreaking is a very simple and relatively fast process, so doing it after every firmware update is not all that much of a hassle.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:27 PM   #4
hrv888
macrumors regular

so how do you unlock a phone without jailbreaking it?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:32 PM   #5
fireshot91
macrumors 601

You don't.

Apple does.

You buy it in special countries, like Italy, France, New Zealand, etc.
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:29 AM   #6
hrv888
macrumors regular

in other words the only way to unlock a phone is to jailbreak it? is there any risk if i bought a phone jailbroken already? how can i distinguish if the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked when im still in the store without access to itunes? the store is g-world in hong kong. they are selling unlocked iphone for HKD7200. anyone here bought from them?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Nipz
macrumors 65816

If your buying the phone from HK (in an apple store) then it will be factory unlocked.

Apple dont sell jailbroken phones because its not supposed to be done, which is way factory unlocked iPhones costs a hell of a lot of money.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:10 AM   #8
hrv888
macrumors regular

apple only sells it online in hong kong. and g-world is a store saying that theirs is also factory unlocked. anyway that i could check if its factory unlocked? their price is HKD1000 on top of Apple online store price but they have units in stock. since apple online have to wait for 1 to 2 weeks shipment, i wont stay in hong kong that long.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:25 AM   #9
Aravintht
macrumors 6502a

well then just open it in the shop as soon as you buy it - if the box is sealed and your uk sim works in the phone, you can be pretty sure it is apple unlocked

if the box is already open, they could have jailbroken and unlocked it - therefore making it not apple unlocked
Aravintht is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:50 AM   #10
hrv888
macrumors regular

Bought the iPhone 3gs and it was sealed. No cydia app installed. Any sum works. How can I check if this is factory unlocked? Or it sure is since I can use any sim without the cydia app? Thanks no access to itunes yet since I am out of the country now.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11
fireshot91
macrumors 601

Quote:
Bought the iPhone 3gs and it was sealed. No cydia app installed. Any sum works. How can I check if this is factory unlocked? Or it sure is since I can use any sim without the cydia app? Thanks no access to itunes yet since I am out of the country now.
Again, if it is sealed, then that means that it hasn't been touched by anybody outside the Apple factory. Meaning that if any SIM card works in it, it is factory unlocked.

If it is not-sealed, and they claim it's factory unlocked, but there's no Cydia, they might have just "poofed" it. So if it was not-sealed, then the only way to check is through iTunes. Restore it. If any SIM card works, it's factory unlocked. If only the provider of that country works, then it's locked, and it wasn't factory unlocked.
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

Yes the fact you can use ANY sim card and there being no cydia app or the like it's factory unlocked.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:36 AM   #13
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Wow! twenty-eight hours later, and you have a factory unlocked 3GS iPhone. You should have picked up a 2nd one and sold it for even more money. Congrats.....

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone