Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
I just set up my brand new pb 15 (1.5, 1 g ram) and everything is perfect EXCEPT there seems to be something wierd about the shut lock mechanism and the keyboard, though I wonder if that's just the way it's made:

When I shut the computer lid, there is no "click" and it doesn't close all the way down flush with the bottom. Though it IS locked, and I have to press the button to unlock, there's space betw. the two halves and some "play", i.e. I can wiggle it a little. Is this just the way it is or is this machine defective (I hope not!!).

Also, possibly related, the keys on the kbd closest to me seem to be raised, i.e. there is space between them and the computer. They don't sit down flush with the flat computer bottom. It's almost as if the keyboard's not pushed in all the way, but the keys work fine (though they're a little stiff for my taste).

Can someone pls. help on this who has any experience, as I just dropped a bundle on this baby and it should be perfectly functional upon arrival of course.

thanks!!!!!

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i would imagine that the space between the keyboard and the screen is normal as you don't want the keys scratching the screen

furrina said:
I just set up my brand new pb 15 (1.5, 1 g ram) and everything is perfect EXCEPT there seems to be something wierd about the shut lock mechanism and the keyboard, though I wonder if that's just the way it's made:

When I shut the computer lid, there is no "click" and it doesn't close all the way down flush with the bottom. Though it IS locked, and I have to press the button to unlock, there's space betw. the two halves and some "play", i.e. I can wiggle it a little. Is this just the way it is or is this machine defective (I hope not!!).

Also, possibly related, the keys on the kbd closest to me seem to be raised, i.e. there is space between them and the computer. They don't sit down flush with the flat computer bottom. It's almost as if the keyboard's not pushed in all the way, but the keys work fine (though they're a little stiff for my taste).

Can someone pls. help on this who has any experience, as I just dropped a bundle on this baby and it should be perfectly functional upon arrival of course.

thanks!!!!!

It is designed to have a small gap between the screen and the Keyboard, this will leave you with a mm or 2 gap between the bottom of the computer and the screen. This is done to prevent the keys from scratching the screen. If you want to prevent the keys from doing this slip the piece of styrofoam in between the screen and KB when you are not using the computer.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I believe that Macworld commented on this in their review of the powerbooks updates. I believe that it is designed to be that way.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
My 17" has a gap between the machine base and the screen when the lid is closed. My old 12" PB was the same way so I'd assume it's normal.

The raised keyboard is also normal, it's that way on my 17 and was that way on my 12.

-Drew

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Not directly related to your 15" keyboard issue (regarding which I agree with the above posts that it has been made that way for a reason) - but my keyboard on my BTO 15" has other issues too. The 'L', 'K', ',' and the left command key all stick when pressed and make a (for want of a better word) thumping noise when they are pressed, unlike all the other keys which depress smoothly and make very little sound. Also, the screw on the right side near the screen has not been screwed in correctly.

Small defects, but annoying - looks like someone rushed my BTO. Hoping to take it to an Apple Centre to get looked at soon, but they're all closed or don't have techs working whenever I've been in - hopefully they'll be okay during the week...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Answer to Q1: The gap is normal, like everyone else said.

Answer to Q2: Depends on what you mean. The top of all the keys should be one or two mm above the top plate, if their not even, or if you think it's too big, take it to an Authorized Repair Center and have them look at it, as this would probably be too hard to explain over the phone.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
Thanks for the feedback, I guess the space between the kbd and screen is normal, (in the #2 part I was referring to how the keys seem too high above the computer, not space betw. the kbd, and screen).
It just seems that such a well-designed machine would close with a nice "click" when shut, so you know it's shut...

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
furrina said:
Thanks for the feedback, I guess the space between the kbd and screen is normal, (in the #2 part I was referring to how the keys seem too high above the computer, not space betw. the kbd, and screen).
It just seems that such a well-designed machine would close with a nice "click" when shut, so you know it's shut...

Ah, but it makes no noise because it is so well designed! ;)

Wish the same were true of my sticky keys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.