Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:51 PM   #1
hedpetcd
macrumors newbie

Modify Contacts on PC

I heard you can plug your iPhone into your PC and modify contacts with some Windows program. Anyone know how to do this?
hedpetcd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:54 AM   #2
Mess
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedpetcd View Post
I heard you can plug your iPhone into your PC and modify contacts with some Windows program. Anyone know how to do this?
Address book is what your looking for. Unless you sync your contacts with outlook or another app?
Mess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Slip Jigs
macrumors 6502a

Through iTunes and MobileMe, you can sync your iPhone contacts on a PC via Outlook, Windows Contacts, Yahoo or Google.
Slip Jigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
enoC
macrumors 6502

Or you can sync it to Zyb.com and modify it there
enoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Acronym
macrumors 65816

If you have entered all your contacts in via phone can you sync them over to your PC? so that if you want to set up as a new phone you can just import them from your PC?
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:12 AM   #6
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronym View Post
If you have entered all your contacts in via phone can you sync them over to your PC? so that if you want to set up as a new phone you can just import them from your PC?
Yes, just sync them to Windows Address Book.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:53 AM   #7
hedpetcd
macrumors newbie

I use Gmail. If i can sink with that, that would be great
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:25 AM   #8
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedpetcd View Post
I use Gmail. If i can sink with that, that would be great
If you're not already using an exchange account on the iPhone, you can just use Google's interface (push contacts and calendar only -- no gmail, except via the non-push IMAP/POP3 interfaces):
http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=apple
(The iPhone only allows the use of one exchange account on the iPhone, so if you're already using one, you can't use Google's.) Note that this gives you online gmail contacts/calendar synchronization via wifi or 3G -- you don't need to connect the iPhone to a PC or Mac.

Also note that turning on any online sync will erase any existing contacts on the iPhone. Make sure that you've got them written down, first.
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:42 AM   #9
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLewis View Post
If you're not already using an exchange account on the iPhone, you can just use Google's interface
One more thing: Google's web pages can be confusing if you click the wrong links on them (e.g., they can point you to configuring your windows mobile device, instead ). If you want to use Google's push contacts/calendar interface with the iPhone, the instructions are here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252
Instructions for configuring the google calendar interface can be found here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...?answer=139206
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:42 PM   #10
hedpetcd
macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'll try it when I get home.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Lycian
macrumors newbie

you can NOT sync with Windows Address Book. it looses most of the data. try other options.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Anjaneya
macrumors newbie

Hi, I am on WinXP and am having trouble editing my iPhone contacts from within the iPhone since the screen is small and all has to be done one by one. Syncing to to the Windows Address Book does not help as the hundreds of contact files in the Address Book are almost as hard to manage and time-consuming to edit as on the iPhone.

How can I go about a quick review of all my contacts in one place with possibility to type in changes and save at once?
Anjaneya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:03 PM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601

You'll have to clarify what you find difficult about the Address Book if you want other suggestions. Any solution is going to be time consuming to deal with if you have hundreds of contacts.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:53 AM   #14
funkymatt
macrumors newbie

Anjaneya, it is not clear what exactly you would like to do with your iPhone contacts. You can use the iCloud to bring all your contacts in one place and then edit them if you wish by logging in to the iCloud from your PC.

Other than the iCloud, there exist numerous ways in which you can manage iPhone contacts and bring them all in one place: ranging from third-party contact iPhone apps which sync your contacts from multiple accounts into your iPhone to apps designed for the PC to import-export iPhone contacts.

Finally, the old and certain way is through syncing your iPhone contacts to your Windows Contacts via iTunes. Then simply edit the *.csv entries found within your Windows Contacts (or Address Book if you are on Windows XP).
funkymatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone