Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
hi everyone need help asap! buying today (hopefully) macbook pro and 24 led monitor and afew other bits with student discount

the free printer offer runs out in the uk tommorrow (28/07/09) and the free ipod touch runs out (08/08/09)

i know they are updating the ipod touches early september, and there is rumor of a "matte display" even though i dont hate the glossy should i wait and see where this goes?

should i wait until 14 days before the student offers ends and then if they do release the matte display at the ipod event (09/08/09) then at least i have the option of taking it back?

my only worry is they will sell out of the ipod touches before this offers ends and i wont be able to get one (has this ever happened?!?!)

so basically buy now (free ipod touch and printer)
or
buy 14days before the ipod event (miss out on the printer and run the risk of missing out on the ipod)

help guys! -cheers

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There won't be event on 9th, it's Sunday. Maybe 11th.

Buy now and sell the iPod so you have money for new one when it comes

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
There won't be event on 9th, it's Sunday. Maybe 11th.

Buy now and sell the iPod so you have money for new one when it comes

sorry getting dates mixed up.

thanks for the quick reply I just dont want to buy glossy and realise i cant use it! so dont know if its better to pass up on the free printer and wait to see what happens or buy now sell the ipod touch

have they evr ran out of stock on student discounts before?

also is it true the free printer deal gets updated straight away after it ends so it ends on the 28th and then a new offer comes out on the 29th?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
sorry getting dates mixed up.

thanks for the quick reply I just dont want to buy glossy and realise i cant use it! so dont know if its better to pass up on the free printer and wait to see what happens or buy now sell the ipod touch

I would buy it now -> sell it and buy new one when it comes

have they evr ran out of stock on student discounts before?

I haven't heard they did. It's for clearing the stock so new ones have space

also is it true the free printer deal gets updated straight away after it ends so it ends on the 28th and then a new offer comes out on the 29th?

I doubt it

m3kilpat

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
Get the ipod now. Even if a new one comes out before the back to school sale ends it will not be eligible for the sale. The same thing happened last year (I believe) and only the older models were eligible. They're not going to give out the latest stuff for free.

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Get the ipod now. Even if a new one comes out before the back to school sale ends it will not be eligible for the sale. The same thing happened last year (I believe) and only the older models were eligible. They're not going to give out the latest stuff for free.

thanks for the info!

thats the ipod side of it! now the screens.. i love how the gloss looks when the lighting is controlled but im still not sure about on a laptop!

any news on theese yet?

m3kilpat

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
thanks for the info!

thats the ipod side of it! now the screens.. i love how the gloss looks when the lighting is controlled but im still not sure about on a laptop!

any news on theese yet?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking which is better on a laptop, matte or glossy?

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking which is better on a laptop, matte or glossy?

sorry mixing two different posts! im new to all this..

im going to use the macbook pro/cinema display for graphics and movies but wanted to wait out on this "matte screen" rumour, and purchase closer to when the student discount comes to an end!

m3kilpat

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
sorry mixing two different posts! im new to all this..

im going to use the macbook pro/cinema display for graphics and movies but wanted to wait out on this "matte screen" rumour, and purchase closer to when the student discount comes to an end!

I wouldn't count on anything new being released before the back to school sale ends. Personally I like the glossy screens better anyways.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
If a glossy screen doesn't work for you, don't buy one. Either wait until one is released, get the 17" MBP that has the matte option, or buy a different laptop.

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
If a glossy screen doesn't work for you, don't buy one. Either wait until one is released, get the 17" MBP that has the matte option, or buy a different laptop.

well thats the point i dont know yet!

..from pictures i have seen and what i have read, the matte is more versitile but the gloss gives better blacks and looks better, i just hope this translates well into a laptop as the led monitor isnt bothering me too much as the light levels and glare can be controlled to an extent

m3kilpat

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
well thats the point i dont know yet!

..from pictures i have seen and what i have read, the matte is more versitile but the gloss gives better blacks and looks better, i just hope this translates well into a laptop as the led monitor isnt bothering me too much as the light levels and glare can be controlled to an extent

How often will you either be outside or in front of a bright light when using your mac? If not very, the glossy would probably be fine. The other option to consider is extended screen viewing. I hear that matte is easier on the eyes after long periods of time while the glossy is a little harder since the screen is brighter. Think "reading a newspaper vs an ebook."

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
How often will you either be outside or in front of a bright light when using your mac? If not very, the glossy would probably be fine. The other option to consider is extended screen viewing. I hear that matte is easier on the eyes after long periods of time while the glossy is a little harder since the screen is brighter. Think "reading a newspaper vs an ebook."

great point, i probably will be using it quite often! im not a fan of the washed out look that matte gives think im gunna buy tonight and then compare to my friends macbook pro matte and see which i prefer! im hoping gloss will suit all my needs, but im in no way an apple fanboy so have no problem shopping else where

iv got 14days to return right?

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Yea you should be able to return within 14 days, give it a try, and if you don't like it just return it and wait! Personally I love my glossy screen but it can be annoying at times in the wrong light conditions.
signature_silverapple.jpg

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Yea you should be able to return within 14 days, give it a try, and if you don't like it just return it and wait! Personally I love my glossy screen but it can be annoying at times in the wrong light conditions.
signature_silverapple.jpg

went to the store and compared the glass vs anti glare and found the glass to look way better but the anti glare more useable.. if i was buying a desktop i would take glass every time as i wont be using it in varing light conditions.. but on a laptop im still unsure

..what to do?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
This is one of those important times in life where you actually need to think for yourself and decide based on what you saw at the Apple store.

sab150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Crap. I hate when that happens. :rolleyes:

ha! well i guess i did make the decision as i left the store without a mac! ..thought its better to pass up on the free printer offer and wait a month to see if anything happens on the matte screen rumor

hopefully apple can come up with some kind of antiglare coating for the glass without affecting colours and having to go back to matte

..am i hoping for too much?? if it happens will it be soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.