Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
My cat sat on the keyboard & the screen scrolling cursor stopped working. I now can only use the side scroll bar. Help please.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
What's a screen scrolling cursor? You mean the ball in the mouse? If you do, that happens a lot, dirt gets in it. It just needs a clean.

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
scrolling cursor not working on screen, only on scroll bar

The wonderful thing about my Mac was the ability to scroll from anywhere on the screen . For some reason this has stopped working & I can only scroll by putting the cursor on the side scroll bar - very frustrating & time-consuming after the previous luxury. The mouse is clean, new battery etc. Help me to restore please.

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
This is almost certainly not the mouse's fault. If it scrolls some places but not others the mouse is working, the software is not.

Did you recently install anything new or upgrade a program you already have?

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
This is almost certainly not the mouse's fault. If it scrolls some places but not others the mouse is working, the software is not.

Did you recently install anything new or upgrade a program you already have?

It's been a few weeks & I've installed a few things - where should I go from here?

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Scrolling cursor not working,only on scroll bar also download button

I have asked before if anyone can help please. My cursor only works on the scroll bar and not from anywhere on the screen which is so frustrating after the ease of use I had. I was told it might be the software and not the mouse but don't know how to go any further. Also my download button when used on email attachments isn't working. Help please!

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
i'd do a system restore with the discs you get given, or if you have it a time machine restore from a point when the mouse worked, if that fails, then it could be a hardware fault, although unlikely

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Wireless apple mouse wont allow scrolling on main screen

THis is the 3rd time I've posted re this & no-one has replied!
The mouse occasionally moves the cursor on the main screen but only upwards which is no use, otherwise I have to use the side scroll bar as it won't work on the main screen. This happened before & then it miraculously corrected itself- now it's gone again.
I've got new batteries, cleaned it, checked the preferences & it is very frustrating. PLEASE HELP!:confused:

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
The fact that nobody has responded to your first two posts probably means that nobody has any solutions to offer. Posting again won't change that. Sorry.

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
turn on scrolling

Make sure the mouse scrolling is turned on in your preferences

1) launch the application called "system preferences"
2) in the window that comes up, click on the icon of the mouse
3) make sure the scrolling option is selected. If there is not a check mark, click on the box to activate the scrolling option.

pncjsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
scrolling cursor not working on screen

Thanks to all who gave advice (and apologies for transgressing by re-posting my question) The problem was "button 3" on my wireless mac mouse worked to scroll up but not to scroll down. The solution embarrassingly easy in hindsight seems to have been a combination of powering the mouse off, re-starting the Mac, and powering the mouse back up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.