Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Intel has issued a recall on the above item. There is a defect in the
units which causes data corruption if (and only if) a password is set on
the drive in the system BIOS, and then later changed or disabled.

In light of this information, do you wish to keep the units you have, or do
you wish to return them? Replacement drives will not be available for at
least two weeks, while Intel programs new firmware.

Again, this issue only affects the drives if a password is set on the
drive, then later changed or disabled.

Please reply with a decision at your earliest convenience. If we do not
receive a response, we will assume that you wish to keep the units.

Thank you for your business and on behalf of Intel, we apologize for any
inconvenience.

Best Regards,
David D.

Bottom Line Telecommunications
http://www.shopblt.com/
salesm@shopblt.com

Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.shopblt.com/faq.shtml

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunate, but not likely to affect too many consumers. This would impact IT departments in larger companies that rely on BIOS passwords for security.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
The solution is a simple Firmware update.

The reason they recall it is because they don't want hundreds of thousands n00b-people complaining cause they can't make the disk work properly.

If you have some common knowledge of computers, I wouldnt worry.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

The reason they recall it is because they don't want hundreds of thousands n00b-people complaining cause they can't make the disk work properly.

If you have some common knowledge of computers, I wouldnt worry.
Do they offer a Mac compatible firmware update utility?

It could be a real problem for those that need to flash, and they only run OSX. :eek: ;)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Flashing works fine on any Intel platform because their flash tool is an ISO image that boots the update utility to DOS.
I realize that, but I've seen a few members wanting to flash the drive firmware (attempting to update the TLER values on WD consumer drives for RAID), but couldn't get a DOS disk to work (CD/DVD, USB stick). The lack of windows on their system (or access to a windows box), so it seemed those running OS X only would have a tougher time getting the system booted into the proper environment for the flash util to work. ;)

Once the disk is made and burned/flashed (USB stick), or even a floppy via USB 3.5", it's rather easy. Getting there was proving to be the major challenge. :p

frimple

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Denver, CO
Flashing works fine on any Intel platform because their flash tool is an ISO image that boots the update utility to DOS.

Also, if memory serves, there was a problem with flashing the drive using a non NVIDIA chipset with the last firmware update that came out (the one that helped alleviate the slow down over time).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I realize that, but I've seen a few members wanting to flash the drive firmware (attempting to update the TLER values on WD consumer drives for RAID), but couldn't get a DOS disk to work (CD/DVD, USB stick). The lack of windows on their system (or access to a windows box), so it seemed those running OS X only would have a tougher time getting the system booted into the proper environment for the flash util to work. ;)

Once the disk is made and burned/flashed (USB stick), or even a floppy via USB 3.5", it's rather easy. Getting there was proving to be the major challenge. :p

That's odd... I've not had any trouble booting to DOS (Intel firmware update) or the Win 7 install CD. I wonder what's up with those guys? At any rate, you are right... if you can't boot an alternate environment, you are left out.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
That's odd... I've not had any trouble booting to DOS (Intel firmware update) or the Win 7 install CD. I wonder what's up with those guys? At any rate, you are right... if you can't boot an alternate environment, you are left out.
They didn't have anything to boot from (other than OS X), and without some other resource (USB floppy or Windows), was unable to create one. :( Multiple attempts, involving a few different members, and none were successful.

Kind of a Catch 22. Other vendors don't see enough need to develop a Mac utility for their products (no other OS environment required), and Apple can't or won't (as the Intellectual Property on DOS has expired by now ;)). And the only option requires something additional. Either a USB floppy (easy & rather cheap), or install Windows. This wouldn't be something users become aware of, until the need arises, and result in a headache or two.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
They didn't have anything to boot from (other than OS X), and without some other resource (USB floppy or Windows), was unable to create one. :( Multiple attempts, involving a few different members, and none were successful.

Kind of a Catch 22. Other vendors don't see enough need to develop a Mac utility for their products (no other OS environment required), and Apple can't or won't (as the Intellectual Property on DOS has expired by now ;)). And the only option requires something additional. Either a USB floppy (easy & rather cheap), or install Windows. This wouldn't be something users become aware of, until the need arises, and result in a headache or two.

I can boot DOS from a CD... that's how Intel's firmware update utility is packaged... as a bootable CDROM ISO. I can boot the Win 7 installer from CD. I suspect any CD that can boot on a PC can boot on a MP.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do but it wasn't update an Intel SSD firmware :confused:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I can boot DOS from a CD... that's how Intel's firmware update utility is packaged... as a bootable CDROM ISO. I can boot the Win 7 installer from CD. I suspect any CD that can boot on a PC can boot on a MP.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do but it wasn't update an Intel SSD firmware :confused:
No, it wasn't Intel. It was to adjust the TLER values on WD drives (mechanical consumer models). Thought I put that in there somewhere (couple of posts back). ;) :p

:cool: That Intel's .iso includes the DOS environment. :)
If other vendors did this, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be common, as the expectation is a PC, and the user can make their own boot media quickly and easily.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I suspect any CD that can boot on a PC can boot on a MP.

That is certainly not true for DVDs. A good example would be Vista Business 64-Bit System Builder Edition on 2006 MP. The DVD contains multiple images and the 32 bit EFI boot loader cannot handle those. The same problem applied to MBP before the intro of Unibody. In late 2008 :apple: updated the firmware to eliminate the problem.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008

That is a pretty silly statement. "n00bs" don't even know they can set a BIOS password to encrypt their hard disks.

They are recalling because this is Intel, they have a reputation to uphold, and they can ill afford a story where somebody somewhere lost all their data due to this bug. It would make for horrible press, and render moot most of the advertising dollars Intel is spending this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.