Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
I absolutely love technology. I know my way around a computer and can do pretty much anything except photoshopping, graphic design, and programming. I want to learn to program. I know this is something that can't just be "learned", and that you are always learning new things..... i've even tried to learn C++, but I run Windows and I think i'm having so much trouble with it because i'm simply not that interested in making Windows Programs. I've recently started thinking about programming for Mac, and especially iPhone. I know I would enjoy it and I know I would get really into it if I started, but that's the problem, I just don't know where to start. First, I don't have a Mac, which isn't much of a problem... I could grab a Mac Mini in the next few months. Mainly I just don't know what I would need to learn, and if I need a Mac to learn it. I've been reading that cocoa is heavily based on Objective C, but I don't know if I need to have a Mac to compile Objective C programs.... or if I should even start with Objective C at all.... or if anything cocoa related is where to start. Right now I can only make a C++ program on Windows that says Hello World with some user input and then instantly disappears. I would really appreciate some help, and considering that I have no idea what most of the thread topics even mean I know i'm in the right place.

Thanks

Xanadeath

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
Get Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan Amazon link.
When you've gotten your Mac Get Cocoa Programing for Mac OS X By Arron Hillegass Amazon link.

If I go with the objective C book before getting a Mac, is using a Windows compiler going to veer me off course. Will going on the mac and using cocoa be more difficult after becoming accustomed to C on Windows?

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
If I go with the objective C book before getting a Mac, is using a Windows compiler going to veer me off course. Will going on the mac and using cocoa be more difficult after becoming accustomed to C on Windows?

C is C is C. So long as you're not using proprietary or Windows-only libraries, everything you learn will be applicable to programming on a Mac. It's especially true for Objective-C, as its main audience is the Mac.

Furthermore, Objective-C is a superset of vanilla C. That means you won't have learned anything really useless, should you decide to only ever do Obj-C in your life.

TheMacintosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Get "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hilegass. bignerdranch.com. It's a great book.

Although Stefan Kochan is good too :)

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
you do know there is a C++ compiler for the mac, right? Meaning, your C++ code can run on the mac.

Err, forgot about wanting for the iphone as well. Yeah I guess go with obj-c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.