Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
No price drop? A price drop would have been nice.
Still think its a tad pricey even though I know I will end up buying one.

20GB sounds real nice too.:cool:

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
We all know the parts the iPod is made of are that expensive. And I think that they are selling well enough even with this price level.

stoid

macrumors 601
How many songs in your pocket?

The only question now is how many songs your can fit in your pocket?

5GB - 1000
10GB - 2000
20GB - 4000
20GB (with 50% smaller AAC files) - 8000

So it looks like we're up to 8000 songs in your pocket, yeah, I wonder if Apple will round up to 10,000. 20GB will be nice, because I think that gets it up to speed with the competition size. Will it have the same form factor?

Eslyjah

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
Firewire 2

If it is true, I hope they take the opportunity to upgrade everything to Firewire 2. 20 GBs needs some fast transfer speeds.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
8000 songs ?

Do we really need 20gb in out iPods ? Reducing the price of the iPods we have would be better, while adding more fuctionality to them

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
we probably don't need 20 gigs for music, but as a portable firewire drive, its a good size. carry it around for your music and your files, increase PDA funtionality, and you have an all around wonder.

I would like to see sometype of input or mic setup. Thatway, it could be come a true mobile device for audio and video. Imagine, taking out your iPod to get the sound for a video project. Its small and unobstrusive and even if you can see it, it looks cool. Now, hook up to your powerbook and pull out the audio, use the drive space to create an offlineRT project in Final Cut. Strap on your headphones, that you just used to monitor your levels, and take it home. Plug it into a fullscale editing system and rock it out.

Ah, if only:D

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: 8000 songs ?

Originally posted by Moonlight
Do we really need 20gb in out iPods ? Reducing the price of the iPods we have would be better, while adding more fuctionality to them
I agree! That makes me think that they'll add addiontal features to the iPod.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
iPod functionality

What would be cool to add to the iPod is for them to work with our digital cameras, so we can download ouir images off the flash memory onto the iPods big HD. We need a usb to firewire adapter and some iPod software that lets us download from the camera and maybe view the names of the files we are downloading, and be able to organize them (and maybe all the files on out iPod) if we could do that it would be amazing, sort of like what the Mindstor digital wallet does.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

Originally posted by Moonlight

the price was reduced though... now, if you want the 10 gb instead of the 20... you pay 399 instead of 499....

and the usage as a hard drive is an excellent point. as well as the aac file size...

this is all assuming that this is what we see happen...

Vijay

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2002
New York

>Do we really need 20gb in out iPods

Increased capacity = increased functionality. It goes from being simply an MP3 walkman to being a way to carry an entire music collection around. I have filled my 10G version, could easily fill a 20G version, and my only complaint is on the occasion when I'm in the car and decide to listen a particular song, only to remember I didn't load that up last time I sync'ed my iPod.

Anyway, the report does indicate a price drop: the 10G goes from $499 to $399.

Vijay R.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: 8000 songs ?

Originally posted by Vijay
when I'm in the car and decide to listen a particular song, only to remember I didn't load that up last time I sync'ed my iPod.
[/B]
How are you using it in your car? Do you use one of those tape inserts or something else?

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
What I really want is a cheaper iPod. How about that rumored 2gb model. Price it $199 and I'll buy it. Apple has to remember that it has a following among college students, and it has to meet their needs.
At least don't discontinue the 5gb model, and I might think about it for $299

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Crap, who cares about the iPod? (Don't answer that, I know some of you do) Shoot, let's update the iPod and iMac G4s twice before we even touch the PowerMacs. WE WANT NEW POWERMACS!

How trustworthy is Think Secret? I just got on the rumor bandwagon this MW Expo and am curious what their past performance has been. Were they one of the rumor sites spouting 1.2/1.4/1.6 GHz G5's for MWSF? If so, I'm not taking much stock in their rumors. But if ya'll tell me Think Secret has been right on with their predictions the last 4 MacWorlds, well, then, that's another story.

Although I don't think there is anything you can tell me that will change my mind in that I believe Apple WILL ANNOUNCE new PowerMacs at MWNY. Why wouldn't they, especially if shipping in August? Shoot, it took 1-3 months to get the flat panel iMac line shipping after its announcement (Apple originally said "end of January" for low end iMac, but it took until March to get it shipping). So announcing PowerMacs now and shipping one month later doesn't seem to go against Apple's "no preannouncement" policy. It works well with Jaguar announcement, as new PowerMacs will ship with Jaguar.

17" LCD iMac just doesn't seem to make sense either. That's basically be the low end Powermac w/17" LCD for $600 cheaper (plus factor in Pro speakers and more software titles, and a 17" iMac is a steal if it were $1899). Now I'm starting to think this is all smoke to cover a G5 ANNOUNCEMENT! Here's hoping...

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
I just answered my own question by searching the archives. ThinkSecret did NOT predict the G5's last MW, in fact, they called those reports "ridiculous."

They did know about the flat panel iMac, but said it would have a G3 processor.

They also had a few days notice before the combo drive was put in the G4 Powerbook last December.

Think Secret seems to have a pretty good track record, though not 100 percent accurate. Let's just hope what they get wrong this time is no PowerMac announcement (though, they claim 100 percent there will be no PM announcement). I suppose if not, one month won't kill me (though I just sold my slower G4 and will ship it out mid-next week -- got top dollar for it before the expo at least).

Re: Re: Re: 8000 songs ?

Originally posted by pgwalsh

How are you using it in your car? Do you use one of those tape inserts or something else?
Dr. Bott sells a car kit with two versions. One that has a tape adapter, the other it an FM attena that you can use to tune into the radio to listen to your iPod. I think Apple should keep the 5gb model and make it $299 I would love to have one;)

Jam

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2002
NoVA, USA
I agree, with the cost being an issue, I want an iPod just for travelling/biking/working out... 1000 songs at a time are more than enough, apple Should introduce a 20gig or up iPod 2 with more features at the $499 price point, but still offer the 5 Gig as an iPod Classic or somesuch for $199 or $249...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Jam
I want an iPod just for travelling/biking/working out... 1000 songs at a time are more than enough,
I agree with this 100%. I would only buy the iPod for the above activities. However, I sweat profusely and I'd need it to be water-resistant and somewhat shock resistant. So, for now, I don't see the iPod as a purchas, but I did send Apple an email about this a long time ago. It's too bad harddrives are so vulnerable to shock.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I carry around an external 80 Gig HD with me at work and I travel all around the city. A 40 or 80 Gig iPod (when technology permits) would be a great way to chuck out that big external HD and just carry around an iPod in my pocket.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by elensil
What I really want is a cheaper iPod. How about that rumored 2gb model. Price it $199 and I'll buy it. Apple has to remember that it has a following among college students, and it has to meet their needs.
At least don't discontinue the 5gb model, and I might think about it for $299
The 2 gb was my idea.

I think that they should bring the 5 GB to $299 and 10 Gb to $399.

Then, they can realease a 20 GB version for $499.

Toshiba also has a 2 GB harddrive out. Some people don't need 5 GB of space for Music. You don't need to have all your music with you all the time. I think they will release a 2 GB version for $199.

Jam

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2002
NoVA, USA
I do have a minidisk player that gets the job done for music to listen to on the go... and I have a firewire portable drive for files to/from work... so it's hard to justify an iPod just for the cool factor. BUT, i drool over most things Apple, so if they would just hook me up with a basic iPod for less cash, i'd be right on it (and i bet a fairnumber of others would to).

oh, and screw quark for no carbon/cocoa version... sorry to get off topic, but I curse at them every day about this.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Re: Do we really need 20 GB?

I have a 20 GB Creative Jukebox which currently has about 3 GB free.

I use it to take my entire music collection on long driving trips so I can listen to anything I might be in the mood for during my vacation.

I would LOVE to see a 20 GB iPod!!!

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by backspinner
We all know the parts the iPod is made of are that expensive. And I think that they are selling well enough even with this price level.

Depends on which parts you are talking about. As the sizes get bumped up then yes the price of those newer larger HDs will be more money. Like others are saying a 199 5GB iPod would do plenty of people well.

As for selling well enough they have taken a 50% cut in sales. Though that is similar to the entire MP3 player market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.